New (old) toy, Yamaha DSP 1

yep do post once you've checked it out.

I'm waiting on amps for the surround channels, will probably use the MX 600U for mains, on a pair of Bose 10.2, 301 x 4 for surrounds.

I'm enjoying it !

Edit: Just did a bit of reading, the DSP-1 is 4 or 6 channel, but does have two mono outs, one with 200hz cut and the other full freq.
Not the same as a center channel though.

Last edited:
Ahh. I finally found and downloaded manuals on your DSP-1 and E1000 so I can better understand what you have and are doing. I didn't realize before that the DSP 1 doesn't output any powered channels at all. Now it clicks why you need the M-35s. That's going to be a sweet setup.

I've been dreaming of finding another M-50 and noticed for the first time while looking for one on fleebay that Yamaha also made a mono M-50 amp. Would be the perfect thing to hang on that single mono full range output for an attempt at a center channel.

Cheers,
James

The M-70 was mono (I think), I'll look see what the M50 was,
I was wanting more power per surround channel so will run two of the M-35 rather than run one in 4 channel mode.
Not a big difference really.
Drive it all with either the C-65 or the MX-830.

Last edited:
I had an M-50 for 15 years or so. It was definitely 2 channel. The M-50 mono that I saw was about 1/2 width (go figure) and looks a bit like the PianoCraft reciever in size and shape. The M-70 is 2+2 channel, I haven't seen a mono version so far.

Looks like the M-35 will give you 40w driving 2 channels? Should be enough for surround channels. I see that your E1000 delivers 25w per surround channel, so if that works ok then 40w should be a step up.

Cheers,
James

The M 70 is two channel in, 4 channel out from what I see,
so the gain knobs are functioning as speaker selectors, A & B basically.

Hey Bratwurst,
Finally got the DSP-1 up and running with the MX 600U for mains,
two m35 amps running two channels ea giving 4 surround ch.
Set up in a very small room but WOW!
running the surrounds @20-30-40% of main level gives very good and believable results.
Bose 10.2 for mains, 301's for surrounds.
So many venues to visit! (virtually of course)

Thanks for the heads up. That must be a great system. I wish you many fine hours enjoying it. Had any luck trying out a center with that mono channel?

I had some car troubles that set me back as far as buying wood to mod a new TV/stereo shelf unit, still a week+ away from having something open that makes cable experimenting easy. In the meantime I got the splitters from amazon, 4 good looking y's for under €10.

Took delivery of a new Samsung 48" LED TV & (inexpensive) LG blu-ray yesterday. I've finally retired the 29" Sony tube TV that I bought in 2001. And I may have a line on a M-50 and C-50. Life is good.

Cheers,
James

No real need for the center as it is a music only system,
I'll probably try it anyway.
It takes awhile to become familiar with all the adjustable parameters per mode,
but once at the right levels WOW!

No real need for the center as it is a music only system,
I'll probably try it anyway.
It takes awhile to become familiar with all the adjustable parameters per mode,
but once at the right levels WOW!

Ah. Missed that about music only. What kind of music are you enjoying?

James

Classical, Organ, rock, Modern pop,
even some old Machiavelli, Mancini, all sorts!
Close your eyes and get transported.......

yep do post once you've checked it out.

Well, life has it's little workings. 21 years ago while I was at work my then 6yo oldest daughter wanted to watch TV, but couldn't figure out why there was no sound. So she started pushing buttons on the C-50 pre-amp the TV was running into. By the time she found the source button for Aux she had already turned the volume up to the stop. Apparently from what I was told it was very very loud for the very short time it took to blow both channels of the M-50 power amp.

Fast forward to yesterday. The new stereo/TV stand is finished. I'm ready to start doing some fun experiments on getting the best use of the DSP-E800 and AX-1090 that I now use. My now 27yo daughter was over while I was at work and wanted to watch a DVD with my niece that's visiting from the States. When I came home they were watching Crocodile Dundee somewhat loudly with a center and 2 rears. The DSP will no longer output to the AX to produce 5.1.

I can listen to 2-channel stereo with the AX with the Pure-Direct button engaged. I can listen to 1.2 surround with the DSP on. Nothing that I have been able to do since yesterday will get things to work correctly like it was doing last weekend. I haven't the slightest idea what she did. When I asked my sweet little girl what the heck she had done this time she replied "I turned the power on and that's all", got huffy, and left. I have a bad feeling that this is going to get complicated.

You might guess that I'm a bit less than happy right at the moment. So, that's my update post for today. :sigh:

Cheers,
James

Well, in the end I had to apologize to my daughter and fess up that papa had screwed up and reversed the pre-in/main-out connections to the DSP-E800. redfacepalm :thumbsdn:

After figuring that out I tried splitting the output to the DSP from the AX-1090 with the return from the DSP going to aux-in on the AX. The result was very low output from the mains. Scary low, as one false source button push on the AX and I'd be picking up the pieces later.

After that I decided there was really no compelling reason that I need any output from the AX to the DSP, just input. So I split the input to the AX main-in with 2 Ys, feeding it from the AX pre-out and the main-out from the DSP.

This is very satisfactory. When using the DSP I turn the volume on the AX all the way down and Pure-Direct off, volume controlled by the DSP. Sound level is good and balanced overall. I've turned the volume on my little Alpha 5s up 6db and their delay down to 15ms using " DolbyDigital 70mm General" mode. I'd like to go lower to 12 but the DSP isn't letting me, even tho the manual shows that I should be able to turn delay down to 0 in DD mode.

And now I can use the AX tone and loudness controls with 2 channel when I just want some low volume background music.

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom