What vintage silver Yamaha receiver/integrated amps are a safe bet?

Beware, it is all vintage and also these many times need a fix up. for example the CR1020 runs its power supply board hot. It is from some resistors and transistors fighting each other which can heat it up the best and finally blow those capacitors.

Just google the CR1020 for pictures, many times on the top left of the air vent on the wooden casing, you see some black discoloring so you do not even need to look on the inside...

Last edited:
Beware, it is all vintage and also these many times need a fix up. for example the CR1020 runs its power supply board hot. It is from some resistors and transistors fighting each other which can heat it up the best and finally blow those capacitors.

Just google the CR1020 for pictures, many times on the top left of the air vent on the wooden casing, you see some black discoloring so you do not even need to look on the inside...

Ahh..But they sound like a million $ once done right.

Phono section sounds a bit "gritty" in the CA-x010s though...and then there is the relay/mode switch problem...

Last edited:
Phono section sounds a bit "gritty" in the CA-x010s though...and then there is the relay/mode switch problem...

Really? I think the phono on mine sounds quite nice.

Relay/mode switch problem? First I've heard of this as well.

Mine has had bulbs replaced, no other work at all.

Elaborate if you can, thanks.

For receivers, the CR X00 or X20 series are well recommended. The X40 series are nice also but do use modules for outputs instead of output transistors. I have a CR-840 which I love, but it does have power packs which some people don't care for and they are usually difficult to find if replacements are needed. They use modules for predrivers also, which are even harder to find.

The TOTL CR-2040 does not use modules.

The CA-*10 amplifiers (and the CR-*20 receivers, for that matter) have nice sounding phono sections, even by modern standards (well, to my ears, at least).

Back
Top Bottom