Interest check - any appetite for an Open Baffle fest in (Northern) New England?

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
OBplan.jpg

I've been thinking - again - about open baffle loudspeaker designs.
I've got tons (maybe even tonnes) of extended range drivers (even some coaxes) with open-baffle friendly T-S parameters. I don't at the moment, however, have any open baffles.

Despite that minor logistical complication ;-) I was thinking it might make for a fun afternoon to take a pair of OBs and swap in numerous different drivers for a comparative tasting.

The ideal OB candidates, as far as I am concerned, are the venerable "JE Labs" OB design: http://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012/06/open-baffle.html

OBplan-2.jpg

If someone has a pair, so much the better! Otherwise, even a wood butcher such as I ought to be able to whup up a pair...

So, at any rate, I was thinking of an open-baffle fest sometime after the New Year's.

I can provide (off the top of my head):
R/S 40-1271
R/S 40-1272
R/S 40-1286
Goldwood 8" twincones
LRE SK98 (Pioneer OEM) 'biflex'
Altec (ummm...) 408 or is it 409 coax
EV SP8C
EV LS8

EV LS12
EV LT12 coax
EV SP12B
EV SP12 (only one really good one)
EV 12TRXB coax
EV TRX12B

EV TRX15B
Altec 15" Biflex (don't ask me which model...)

Plus, by all means, BYOD -- Bring your own driver(s)

Single-ended 2A3 amplification and ability to play most any source.

We're in the Connecticut River "Upper Valley" on the west side of New Hampshire. Winter weather is a bit of a crapshoot here ;-)

Anyone potentially interested?
Post here or send me a PM.

Thanks for looking!

PS I hope this is a suitable post for this forum... if not, moderators please feel free to remove it.

Last edited:
I have a pair of University 6201 co-axes that are destined for O B duty....

Hmmmm.

prob too far to drive for me but that sounds like great fun.

think about how you can easily pop the drivers in and out. maybe pre-mount them on standard-sized boards and have clamps on the OB so you can secure the boards to the baffle.

for those w/ other drivers, if they know the board size they could also premount their drivers...

... well, I guess we could always do BYOB (bring your own baffle)!

I figured with a power screwdriver changing drivers on the fly wouldn't be terribly burdensome. They don't make knockoffs for speakers AFAIK

;-)

... as to NOVA being too far... our son just got here last night from Charolettesville :) I guess blood's thicker than water, though.

Oh. The aforementioned 6201s...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6201-1rear.jpg
    6201-1rear.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 6201-2rear.jpg
    6201-2rear.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 211
heh - 4 hours from C-ville to B-more; about 9 from B-more to here... we all do it more than occasionally, actually :)

If they're the ones I think they are... they actually used to be mine... it's a small world ;-)

Mark- perhaps, think I bought them from Wa. Or Co. State, will hafta check. May get them mounted up this week!

I have a single of a Philips Norelco driver kicking around. Can't remember the model # tho.:scratch2:

I would like to attend. I have access to a sophisticated analysis rig that I can bring from Massachusetts.

That would be fun Mark, wish I could be there. Lots of good optios for those baffles on that list.

Todd, I have a single Phillips as well, maybe we can make a pair. No clue on the model of mine either, but it's bigger than the 9710.

If you did this over a weekend in the summer - I'd grab BKTHEKING on the way and come down with some Coral 8A7s (not the good Corals, but still interesting), Goodmans 1220s, Heathkit AS-163s, SC Slimlines and doped Silver Irises. You already have the 40-1286s.

Would be very interesting to hear all these different drivers in a shoot out like this. And since it's OB, it'd be mostly the driver itself we'd be comparing. Very interesting indeed.

Last edited:
Yeah, it'd be nice to coerce him out of the woodwork :) Actually, technically... he might still have a pair of OBs he got from me long ago... not his JE Labs' OBs... these were some tall boys :p

Back
Top Bottom