New NS1000M Cabinets

Harolda

Hi all,

some time ago i acquired a NOS set of speakers, filters and attenuation pots for a pair of NS1000 speakers on EBAY. Complete in their factory boxes and completely sealed. All new and original.

Next to this i have also acquired over time a complete set of used units, filters and pots.

Since it is very difficult to get cabinets for building one or two set of speakers, i am planning to build my own cabinets.

I have researched a lot on the internet, about the internal dimensions for calculating the internal volume and trying to get an idea of the amount of damping on the inside.

This is what i found thusfar:
1) The outer dimension of the NS1000M are (wxdxh) 37,5 x 67,5 x 32,6cm, this was easy
2) I think the thickness of the wood used is 22mm or 25mm, not sure about that
3) There are 3 reinforcements in the cabinet
- the cut out of the woofer glued to the back at the top
- A reinforcement between the mid dome and the woofer
- A reinforcement between the mid dome/tweeter and the pots
4) A thick felt is used on the sides and top and bottom
5) I calculated mid dome and tweeter position from pictures, knowing the outer dimensions of the cabinet

When i calculate the volume i get around 55 liters for the internal volume.

I am very experienced in woodworking and i have CNC equipment available to make the cabinet. At first i thought a lot about making a super stiff cabinet for the speakers, keeping internal volume and baffle dimensions same as the original. On the other hand i think, let's first start with making an original cabinet as it was designed by Yamaha.

I hope you can help me with the following information i am still looking for
1) What is the internal volume of the original cabinet, or what is the wall thickness of the wood used and the dimension of the internal reinforcements
2) A more exact position of the speaker units and pots on the baffle.
3) The amount of damping inside the cabinet.

I will keep you updated here on my progress.

regards

There are some unusual features of the stock cab that you will need photos of. IMO, get a set of original cabinets and get to know the sound. Then use your skills to craft something to your own design.

I would buy at least one used original cabinet as a standard. These things are very well made. I could swear that Yamaha must have used some lead in building these. They are that heavy..

PM sent

Good luck with your project. Please keep us posted with the progress :thmbsp:

I would go with the super stiff cabinet and build a 1000X.

http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/ns-1000x.html

Well that would be difficult i think, the ns1000x uses carbon woofers, other than the paper woofers in the NS-1000(m). The positioning on the baffle is different and i am sure that the filter also has been optimized for this.

I want to keep speaker placement and baffle dimensions identical to the original speaker. To make a super stiff cabinet with the same baffle dimensions i will end up with a higher depth of the cabinet to achieve the same damping and volume for the woofer on the inside.

As you all suggested, buy one or two original cabinets. Well i have been searching a long time for cabinets. The only place at the moment is in Canada, which costs me a lot in shipping.

As you all suggested, buy one or two original cabinets. Well i have been searching a long time for cabinets. The only place at the moment is in Canada, which costs me a lot in shipping.

There are some here in the US. Albeit, shipping won't be much different than from Canada. Check your messages. PM sent yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom