VinylDavid Vehicle #7: 2003 Caddy DeVille DHS

vinyldavid

Collectorius Giganticus
Subscriber
Well, a roofing truck hit the Camry which I bought in late Feburary.

No one was hurt, the Camry was still drivable, and the airbags didn't go off, but it got totaled out by the insurance company.

The idiot driving the roofing truck put the clutch in at a stoplight on a hill, and rolled back into the Camry. Their insurance paid quickly and promptly, and far more than I paid for the car. :D

Anyway, it was time for a new Daily Driver. At first, I had my eye on a 98 Olds 88 with 90k miles, being sold by my mechanics. But, they seemed to be stalling on the deal, so, I started browsing CL, as did my cousin.

My cousin found the listing, for a 2003 Cadillac DeVille DHS. Price was very reasonable.

I called, found that it had a couple issues, but nothing major, and decided to take a look at it. I bought it that night.

All the power options work, save for the rear power sun shade, it has a built in back massager, power lumbar, seemingly infinite way heated leather power seats, the "Upmarket" Blose audio system that doesn't sound too terrible once you knock the treble down, tilt and telescoping wheel, power lumbar and heated REAR leather seats, rear passenger HVAC, and enough computer controls for a spaceship.

Most of the issues were solved with a computer reset and tires, the PO's apparently never figured out how to reset the computer from the dash-mounted controls. Had to have a starter put on, and back shocks, but it seems to be doing great now! I put Pirelli P7's in the 235/65/R16 size on it, which is stock.

I'm averaging 18.5mpg around town, which isn't bad at all for a 4.6L V8 in a 4000lb+ car.

Here are some pics. It's not the prettiest car around, but most of it is trim that needs to be dealt with, and a small rust spot at the rear wheel well. The underside of the car is clean clean clean. Most of the trim and wheel hub cover should be source-able at a local junkyard.

The car rides smooth and straight, an absolute pleasure to cruise in. The first time I took it out on the highway, I found myself doing 86mph, without even realizing it. A truly wonderful car.

Here are some pics:

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

That's all for now!

Nice car David :thmbsp:

Funny, I was just wondering today why I don't have a Park Avenue Ultra to cruise back forth between work and home. :scratch2:

Nice ride sir. I own an 04 DHS and I love it. The DHS has all the toys in the box (wadda ya think of that sunshade) and it makes for a very comfy cruise. Enjoy:thmbsp:

If youre getting 18.5 mpg avg it may benefit from new filters and a tuneup. I am currently averaging 23.5 mpg in my 04.

J.R.

Last edited:
Who ever removed the radiator close out panel --did not put the push in retainer buttons back in.
Oil cap is not fully tight.

Other than that looks real good.

James Stewart Cadillac Factory Retiree...1976-2008

JHS:

I do not disbelieve you but how the heck can you discern the oil cap is not on tight via the pic?

Oh and nice ride David.

:)

Matt

Because when it is tight --the symbol will not be lopsided...I've seen thousands of Northstar engines.

David, if you have not already done, get you ass over to http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php and you have the experience of thousands of Cadillac owners and the "fix'it" knowledge to deal with any problem..."if you've got a problem, somebody else had it before you did". I hail to "Knotgoalie" over in those parts.:thmbsp:

J.R.

Nice car, David.

Just keep an eye on the cooling system. Make sure everything is in good shape there.

Nice car, David.

Just keep an eye on the cooling system. Make sure everything is in good shape there.

The 03 was the last year that presented the HG failure problem but truthfully that was due to neglecting to change the coolant more often than the remedies of the head bolt pitch change in 04. That said, I'm glad I have an 04 in any case.

J.R.

The 03 was the last year that presented the HG failure problem but truthfully that was due to neglecting to change the coolant more often than the remedies of the head bolt pitch change in 04. That said, I'm glad I have an 04 in any case.

J.R.

My 04 had the head gasket problem also. 2004 was better, but it wasn't 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Because when it is tight --the symbol will not be lopsided...I've seen thousands of Northstar engines.

You were right! There was about 10 degrees of rotation left on the oil cap, now the symbol is vertical. Much better than the variable tightness of the Jaguar I6 oil cap (which I have to remove regularly because old english car).

Nice car, David.

Thanks! I checked it when I got it, and it was somewhat low, filled it to what I assume to be the fill mark, and was quite alarmed when I saw a bit of antifreeze under the car. However, checking it every day since then (over a week, with a lot of driving in hot weather), the level stabilized at about 1/2" below the full mark, and has stayed there, with no signs of loss.

The car never gets more than 1/2 of one deviation higher than halfway up the gauge, even in the worst of rush hour traffic on a 100º day with the AC stabilized at 67º. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Nice ride, David.

I used to drive similar caddies 10-15 years ago for a limousine/towncar service. Some of the drivers preferred the Lincolns, but some of us preferred driving the Cads. :thmbsp:

Luckily, I didn't have to worry about servicing the cars I was assigned to drive. :D

These Cadillacs offer a lot of car with surprisingly good fuel economy for relatively good bargain.

Before purchasing, I always advice making certain the candidate had been well loved though.

Congrats & I hope it provides miles of smiles. :thmbsp:

How many miles? Should get better mileage than 18.5, has the 3.11 "economy" final drive. Those FWD Northstars run pretty strong, had my share of them. Do go over to Cadillac Forums, and read the entire Technical Archive that's up in the top black bar. I'm there, same user name.

Those cars can be a needy PITA if you don't give them the proper maintenance. Change the coolant immediately, so you know when it was done. 03 shouldn't present much risk of HG problems, but better safe than sorry. I'd recommend an update to Dexron VI trans fluid as well. Learn how to operate the integrated OBD II code reader. I know a few tips and tricks about these cars, so if you have some questions, shoot. Also, enjoy! I loved my SLS and STS.

If you'd have bought a decent 1/2 ton Chevy pickup 7 vehicles ago, you'd still be driving it, and probably still have a load of cash in your pocket.:thmbsp::D

If you'd have bought a decent 1/2 ton Chevy pickup 7 vehicles ago, you'd still be driving it, and probably still have a load of cash in your pocket.:thmbsp::D

:yes: I have a 95 Sierra, and the only money I've put into it is tires, brakes, and various unnecessary modifications.

Back
Top Bottom