Tandberg 9000x malfunctions

powerdoc

I am the recent proud owner of this machine which had know issues before I bought it for the princely sum of $20. I'm going to download and read the service manual for this gem but I was wondering if any of you had actually had one of these machines and what are the usual maladies that befall them? All the motors seem to work to some extent; it'll need a new pinch roller but before spending 4x the price of the machine on the new roller I'd like to get the basic workings working. Thanks for any help.

Typical mechanical issues i.e. pinch roller, belts, make sure the capstans are running smoothly in the bearings, etc.

This was Tandberg's first full-logic RTR and they have been known to have problems in that area sometimes. Make sure you d/l the logic circuits manual that supports the normal service manual, for a full understanding of this deck.

John

When overhauling one of these, I do!

Replace belts
Rebuild pinch roller (if necessary)
Check motor bearings for noise and correct running. Lubricate or replace as necessary.

The logic chips in this model are usually reliable most of the time. Early production occasionally had logic circuitry issues repaired by an updated IC. Get the logic circuitry supplement when downloading the service manual. Overall this is one of the better Tandberg reel decks regarding reliability. Keep heads clean. Enjoy superb Norwegian sound quality for which Tandberg is famous.

Back
Top Bottom