altec 353a and matching tuner 313a

jera

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ok so i have a chance to pick up the pair. Both are really clean.I have seen the auction prices for the amp but cant seem to find much on the the tuner. Not sure if the
prices are a bit inflated. There asking price for the pair is less than one amp on
On that auction site .anyone have these thoughts on sound or any other input

Jera, I picked up the 353A amp about 4-5 months ago and have recently gotten it back after a recap and updating. It sounds incredible. These are superbly built with beautiful, hefty, Peerless transformers. It uses 6L6GC output tubes and 12AX7's, both available and decently priced. I strongly encourage you to purchase the pair. I don't have experience with the tuner but am betting it's excellent. I'm using a Dynaco FM3 tuner and eventually will pair the 353A with a Scott 310E, when back from servicing.

Julian Hirsch reviewed this amp in a HiFi Stereo review from November 1961. He summed it up by saying "I would describe the Altec 353A as a rugged, well constructed, and honestly rated stereo amplifier, capable of delivering excellent performance in the highest-quality stereo or mono systems." For a man who was not gushy with words, I believe this was a two thumbs up review.

Where I live, Altec tube gear is never for sale. I'm not even going to comment on price. Instead, I will repeat myself, which at my age happens a lot. I strongly encourage you to pick these up. PM me with any further help needed. I saved some online info including the review, I can forward if wanted. Good luck and keep us updated. Pics are always nice.

TS

Thanks TS, I am going to pick these up today and will posts some pics as soon as they get back to the house. I don't know what I will do if they sound as good as I think. I just picked up a beautiful fisher 500b last week. Life is rough :)

Ok so i went over to get them today. Unfortunatley the couple that owned it decided to power it up without any speakers connected :thumbsdn: and they said it came on for a second and than bang off it went. So it will be going to the tech on monday but here is just a couple of quick picks .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 63
Thanks TS, I am going to pick these up today and will posts some pics as soon as they get back to the house. I don't know what I will do if they sound as good as I think. I just picked up a beautiful fisher 500b last week. Life is rough :)

Congrats, jera!! Those are in beautiful shape. And a 500b, to boot. Wow, you are on your way to sonic heaven, in my book. You have had one sweet week. PMing you back. :thmbsp:

I also spoke with one of the sellers, I believe they were a couple, anyways...they ensured the units work great but when I pressed if they had been used with speakers hooked up or if the units produced equal and clean sound they just said they turn on and work.

The exchange raised my buyer beware flag and I walked away, hope you can get it working soon!

Yes they had told me the same thing. What they may not have told you is they got all of the amplifiers when they purchased the home .It was connected to the most massive size altec horns and speakers I have ever seen. These where in custom built cabinets and unfortunately where not for sale. So I believe them and they told me it was working when they moved in. This worked out in my favor when he came down to negotiating the price. Hopefully it's up and running soon

Yes they had told me the same thing. What they may not have told you is they got all of the amplifiers when they purchased the home .It was connected to the most massive size altec horns and speakers I have ever seen. These where in custom built cabinets and unfortunately where not for sale. So I believe them and they told me it was working when they moved in. This worked out in my favor when he came down to negotiating the price. Hopefully it's up and running soon

I have been looking at these. How did you like the sound?

To be honest it was long ago I can't really remember any specifics . Mark at blueglow did the restoration. I do remember that he said once it was restored it was one of the best measuring amps he had on the bench. I may still have the original manual around here somewhere . Most of the early Altec tube stuff I have heard has sounded amazing and worthy of the praise they are given.

To be honest it was long ago I can't really remember any specifics . Mark at blueglow did the restoration. I do remember that he said once it was restored it was one of the best measuring amps he had on the bench. I may still have the original manual around here somewhere . Most of the early Altec tube stuff I have heard has sounded amazing and worthy of the praise they are given.

I read the vintage stereo magazine review that 62caddy posted and it appears to have a good review but the square wave was a little funny. Wonder how that restore using new parts would clean that up?

it looks like a fine option for something compact and easy to move.

Back
Top Bottom