Floorstanding speakers great for rock/blues/metal available for $500 or less.

andx0r

I really like the Focals I currently use for jazz and other similar types of music, but I find myself wanting a bit more impact when listening to things like classic rock or heavier blues (say, Hound Dog Taylor).

The majority of my listening in descending order is classic rock, blues, golden age hip-hop, 70s/80s new wave, and jazz.

So if a guy had a budget of $500 or so, what would be some models and makes of floorstanders to play that sort of music with?

The system is in a basement, that is reasonably spacious but not massive. WAF is not an issue. I play at slightly elevated volumes but never earth-shatteringly loud.

They'll be hooked up to the system in my signature.

Last edited:
JBL 150A's would do the trick. You would be lucky to find them in that price range, but it's still possible. With good amplification they can put out a powerhouse sound and ferocious bass that I love. I've got a pair and they are one of my all time faves.

See if he'll take $500, if he's close enough of course.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4637343594.html

What a bummer that this guy is selling such nice speakers.

I'm not going to go into detail about my run-ins with that particular dirtbag, but let's just say I won't be calling Steve/greendaleaudio again no matter what he's selling. Which is a shame, because sometimes he digs up good stuff.

Last edited:
Might be able to find some AR-9s for around $500 if you're lucky. I LOVE mine for 70's classic rock, but they are super versatile and do most genres very well. They certainly have "impact"! I pair mine with a 150wpc MC2105 and they sound great. They really came alive when biamped with the 2105 on the mids/tweets and a cheap but powerful Crown 300+wpc on the woofers. Hound Taylor sounds killer on them! Beware of the Dog!

:thmbsp:

Why don't you just add a small amplified subwoffer to what you already have. That will give it the punch you are looking for.
Cheers!

Speakerlabs....3 , 4 or 7's
Cheap and great sound IMHO
Pm me if you want more info on this brand.
I have had lots of brands but this one makes coltrane sing as well as rock led zep and you will be under 500. Their 12 inch woofers are fantastic and they have detail for classical

Last edited:
What a buhttp://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4595547052.htmlmmer that this guy is selling such nice speakers.

I'm not going to go into detail about my run-ins with that particular dirtbag, but let's just say I won't be calling Steve/greendaleaudio again no matter what he's selling. Which is a shame, because sometimes he digs up good stuff.

I know one of those guys too, maybe they're related...

How about these? Maybe he will take $500.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4595547052.html

Klipsch CF-3's 2-ways with dual 10" woofers per side @ 102db/1-watt sensitivity or maybe KLF-20's (dual 10" per side 3-way) or KLF-30's (dual 12" per side) around same sensitivity. I personally have CF-3's and KLF-30's and have owned tons of other speakers thru the years...I love the extra these give that the others haven't. I also own JBL L100t's, Infinity RSIIIa's, Quantum 3's, Polk SDA SRS 2's, Norman Lab Model 9's, 2 pairs of Dynaco A25's, RtR Model II F's and have sold off many many more including AR11's, AR2ax's, CV's, and on and on. I enjoyed them all in there own way yet disliked some even more. But I do like the efficient speakers with some power on them. Always have. Lots of different opinions, huh?

I have owned the CF-3's and KLF-20's...yes, the CF-3's hit hard, talk about impact....but the horns were a little too hot in my listening area, and it was too much work to try to tame them.

For under $500, I would go for the JBL L100T or L100T3 as Eric has mentioned above. JBL woofers puts out the best bass..the 2214H woofer rocks.

What a bummer that this guy is selling such nice speakers.

I would be interested in hearing what you know. I see his ads all the time.

JBL 4311b would be a good choice. You can probably find them for that price. Polk rt11 or RT12. Can't remember the correct model, but they are available for under 400 and rock sounded great on them.

JBL 150A's would do the trick. You would be lucky to find them in that price range, but it's still possible. With good amplification they can put out a powerhouse sound and ferocious bass that I love. I've got a pair and they are one of my all time faves.

I have the L150's not the A's and I can not see how the A's can sound much better. The L150's can be found for less money. The bass is great, not boomey, it just reaches low.

In floor-standing JBLs the most fantastic sleeper among them is the L7. $500 is well within the range if they're local to you since they're a bear to ship. I don't think you can touch the L150A for the same price and as the owner of both I'm not sure you'd be gaining that much, the L7 is that good. Even if you find some L5s you should jump at the right price because they play impressive far beyond what they're size might suggest.

Some of the JBLs suggested aren't even floor-standers. And if people are paying $500 for the L80T I have two pairs modded to T3-specs I'd be happy to deliver for that price! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom