Would this motor work well in a DIY RCM?

pwgphoto

I have been searching for a motor to turn a platter on a DIY Record Cleaning Machine I want to build and came up with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200482&pf_rd_i=507846

Not sure about how I am going to wire it yet, need to learn a bit more, but wanted opinions on whether this would be a good motor to power it. It spins at 15 RPM, the VPI is 18, and can be wired to go both forward and reverse. I guess you could wire a two way switch to it. I have a bunch of different old wall warts to try and power it.

So yay or nay?

Looking at the scale of the hand holding the motor, I would say its an economical option.

Without technical data there's not much more to go on.

15 RPM might be to fast.

Have you tought about a motor out of a microwave? Pick one up at a GW or yard sale.

As far as RPM the VPI 16.5 spins at 18RPM according to their site, so I think I would be OK in that ball park. They also sell slower RPM motors if I wanted a slower one. I also think that if I hook up a 6v pack to it, instead of 12v, it would slow it down. So I am not too worried about RPM. This is all new to me though so any thoughts are considered and thanks.

That's basically the same motor/gearbox I have in my RCM. And I run mine from an inexpensive variable-volt wall-wart power supply so I can get the speed that works best for me. (About 8 RPM seems to be right for me, around 6 volts, I think.) Yes, an on-off-on DPDT switch can be used for forward-off-reverse very easily.

I don't think that optional speed controller will do much for you, as it's 12-40v. You'll need to reduce the voltage to reduce the speed and giving a 12v motor more than 12v may be risky. EDIT: Maybe the speed controller will be fine; if 12v in then variable up to 12v max out? Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in?

Attaching the output shaft to the platter will be the tricky part ...

Last edited:
here's what I used in mine, works perfect, got it off epay $13
Hurst Motor, 10 RPM, 115 VAC, 60 Hz, w/ .82 MFD Cap

I tried a similar motor and wasn't happy with the torque. Found a BBQ rotisserie motor at Goodwill that is perfect on my rig.

I bought it and we will see. If it is a bust, at least it was only $12 shipped. I will let you all know.

Back
Top Bottom