Infinity RS II vs Polk SRS 3.1 TL thoughts?

The midrange foams at the back of my speakers was in very good condition. I just experimented with having it off vs having them in place.

Midrange quality is dramatically improved with the foam in place.

I will do some more experimentation. I think everyone running 2's withought the foam might be missing out. It definitely sounds better with the foam in place. It can't be that difficult or expensive to get some high density foam and cut it up to replicate the factory foam. I have a sheet of black hole 5.... I might try to see what effect that would have vs the factory foam.

Last edited:
Is someone running their "2's" without the foam?

The foam behind rear grills. Most are long gone. I run mine without. Right now i don't run them at all. On loan to my brother..they were sitting idle so he's got them for now.

I'd just carefully pull that surround from the basket on that mid, recenter the coil and glue it back. Good as gold.
Jim

I do not have the foam. Sounds great to me even without...

Sent from Tapatalk on Windows Phone

Actually they sound real good with the foam removed and facing the other way slightly toward the side walls:)

Spectacular set up and pic!:yes:

i-BX5rjwj-X2.jpg

please ignore the dust. eeek!

Dogs Love Infinitys !

You are not the 1st who has noted that Dogs Like Infinitys ! ! Just a few weeks ago I had a nice little aside ( in that other "P" forum ) ( infinity cs 3007 vs polk 10 ) (not surprising the freindly rivalry ( they both make great speakers and were each others top competitors ) He has a beautiful young shepperd as his avatar and said he will walk out of the room if kenny g comes on LOL .( He too sided heavily w the cs 3007 over the m 10 ).
what flavor dog do you have ? :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

my brother had a great idea and I think that I have my first "mod" for these speakers.

I'm going to build a grill that just covers the woofers. Basically half sized grills that leave the top half of the speaker exposed.

In addition i might have to find a way to fix and cover the quarter sized hole at the top of the speakers where there was a support post to support the top of the grills.

Congratulations! Wow are they gorgeous. You got an absolute killer deal. And as you already know they are a wonderfully sounding speaker. They will take all the power you can give them.

Congratulations! Wow are they gorgeous. You got an absolute killer deal. And as you already know they are a wonderfully sounding speaker. They will take all the power you can give them.

Thank you. I feel very lucky that I scored these speakers. I have only been chasing audio bliss for like a year now. Can't believe I have managed to get this decent of a system setup for less than 2 grand.

I managed to push the emotiva amp into protection mode last night at only like 50% volume. I was trying to make my pants shake - it didn't happen. Think I will need to try to improve my amplification in the future. Perhaps monoblocks? Or upgrading the crossovers to accept dual amplification? I was checking out the crossover schematic. It doesn't look like it would be too terribly difficult to split the low and high channels.

Yep...I held my first listening party last weekend with a few friends, you know, bring your favorite CDs, I have beer. We started with Bach, Brahms, Sibelius, Yo-Yo Ma, and went down from there...absolutely cranking the volume up with Dire Straits, Billy Idol, INXS, old Genesis (lots of it), Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, Metallica, etc etc...

Boston's Third Stage was just amazing, when the organ rocket took off and the guitar riff started, people were just staring in the void with smiles on their faces...until the APC surge protector went into protection mode and temporarily quieted the party. And this unit is rated at 1000W :)

So I am happy to report that Emotiva SA-250 (clean 400 wpc at 4 Ohm), and RS-IIs were able to pull more than 1kW from the wall socket and do it with grace :music: :music: :music:

Thank you. I feel very lucky that I scored these speakers. I have only been chasing audio bliss for like a year now. Can't believe I have managed to get this decent of a system setup for less than 2 grand.

I managed to push the emotiva amp into protection mode last night at only like 50% volume. I was trying to make my pants shake - it didn't happen. Think I will need to try to improve my amplification in the future. Perhaps monoblocks? Or upgrading the crossovers to accept dual amplification? I was checking out the crossover schematic. It doesn't look like it would be too terribly difficult to split the low and high channels.

This is very interesting. My SA-250 does not have any difficulties driving RS-IIs. A quick comparison shows that even though XPA-2 is rated a bit higher for 4 Ohm loads, SA-250 has 80k microF caps v 45k microF in XPA-2. Both have the similarly specced 1.2kva toroidal transformer, although SA-250 has additional "dual secondary windings".

Last edited:
Yeah Sorry about that .. didnt see her sitting right there ..
Very enjoyable thread .. In the vicarous thrill sense ..
:banana::music::thmbsp:

This is very interesting. My SA-250 does not have any difficulties driving RS-IIs. A quick comparison shows that even though XPA-2 is rated a bit higher for 4 Ohm loads, SA-250 has 80k microF caps v 45k microF in XPA-2. Both have the similarly specced 1.2kva toroidal transformer, although SA-250 has additional "dual secondary windings".

Well to be fair I was listening to "bass 305" trying to make my pants shake. Yes, that terrible bass music from the 90's for car audio bass heads. :nono::nono:

You can find threads here but what you will find is that bi-amping these would be a real chore. My experience has taught me that buying the best single amp that the budget will tolerate is better than bi-amping with the same $$ invested. And so as to not to create a debate I will add that once a certain threshold of quality is achieved on a single amp, then if you move to bi-amping with an active crossover and maintain that high level of amplification there will be sonic advantages. (geesh- what a run on sentence) But with all that said these are not bi-amp friendly.

Infinity did a modification in production

P
The midrange foams at the back of my speakers was in very good condition. I just experimented with having it off vs having them in place.

Midrange quality is dramatically improved with the foam in place.

I will do some more experimentation. I think everyone running 2's withought the foam might be missing out. It definitely sounds better with the foam in place. It can't be that difficult or expensive to get some high density foam and cut it up to replicate the factory foam. I have a sheet of black hole 5.... I might try to see what effect that would have vs the factory foam.
I believe foam for rears of mids was added to speakers with (A) added before serial numbers, which BTW are consecutive .I am original owner of (A)
pair bought from a dealer who sold Infinity , I bought them in 1981! Had them ever since, reformed all four woofers at Simply Speakers. One tweeter blew I believe as for a while they were powered with Yamaha cr 1020 receiver . In 1997 , I switched to Acurus A250 with Yamaha cx-2. Preamp. 350 watts @ 4 ohms, all the clean low impedance power I will ever need.:music::music:

I'm going to build a grill that just covers the woofers. Basically half sized grills that leave the top half of the speaker exposed.

In addition i might have to find a way to fix and cover the quarter sized hole at the top of the speakers where there was a support post to support the top of the grills.

Neat idea. I like it.

I have seen those top grille posts. Every once in a while they come up on ebay. I could swear I've seen them currently in retail somewhere.

Go Hawks.

P
I believe foam for rears of mids was added to speakers with (A) added before serial numbers, which BTW are consecutive .I am original owner of (A)
pair bought from a dealer who sold Infinity , I bought them in 1981.

Interesting that you bought them in 1981 without the foam.
I assume the foam was a refinement sometime after that.

when I bought them & they had the foam

Interesting that you bought them in 1981 without the foam.
I assume the foam was a refinement sometime after that.
A on serial number seems to indicate modifications including foam

Back
Top Bottom