Repainting Renaissance 90's advice needed

Poorbeek

I have a pair of Black Infinity Renaissance 90's.

I am thinking of repainting them and also check the crossovers.

The cabinets have some minor damages and also on the bottom and top side i can see the wood through the veneer.

Speaker cabinets have been taken care of with beewax (Furniture Pledge) so sanding them and painting them is not a solution i think. I think the previous owner bummed against 1 speaker and it dropped face down. Also have to take care of the frontcover which is not aligned properly.

What is the best solution to clean them and prepare them for a professional paint job?

How can i repair the small dents in the veneer? These are dents which do not go through the veneer?

Pledge IE pledge with silicone in it? Lord. That's going to be a fisheye nightmare. I refinished a table that someone had used pledge on. It wasn't fun. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Those Ren 90s are just oak veneer with black paint over them right? My dad has 80s and that's what his are. His are kind of banged up too.

Yes i think there is silicone in it or beewax. I will check tonight when i am home.

Can i sand of the paint till the oak veneer comes up or will that not work?

Sanding the entire cabs is likely to do more damage than good to the veneer. I would recommend a wipe-down with a solvent based paint thinner like lacquer thinner or acetone to remove the wax/silicone residue. You can then repair major dings with wood filler or even auto body putty (Bondo)--won't matter if you are actually painting them black.

Another trick for cleaning up/hiding scuffs or minor dings is good ole black paste shoe polish. Apply like car wax, allow to dry and buff it out.

Here's the problem. You pretty much can't get rid of the silicone. Google this topic and do a lot of reading. I had to varnish/strip the table I was finishing THREE times! It turned out okay but its not perfect, and it should be for how much work it was.

You could strip the paint, but use a paint stripper NOT sandpaper. You're almost guaranteed to sand through the veneer if you just sand it all. Been there done that too! Paint stripper is also a lot easier and faster than sanding.

Do you want them black again or are you going for oak? If you're staying black don't bother stripping all the old paint off. Repair the flaws and have fresh paint sprayed on them. The silicone deal could be a real problem though. You may be able to get it off where it's on the paint/veneer but if it got into the underlying wood through scrapes you're going to have a hell of a time getting it out.

Sanding the entire cabs is likely to do more damage than good to the veneer. I would recommend a wipe-down with a solvent based paint thinner like lacquer thinner or acetone to remove the wax/silicone residue. You can then repair major dings with wood filler or even auto body putty (Bondo)--won't matter if you are actually painting them black.

Another trick for cleaning up/hiding scuffs or minor dings is good ole black paste shoe polish. Apply like car wax, allow to dry and buff it out.

Yeah, what he said.

Here's the problem. You pretty much can't get rid of the silicone. Google this topic and do a lot of reading. I had to varnish/strip the table I was finishing THREE times! It turned out okay but its not perfect, and it should be for how much work it was.

You could strip the paint, but use a paint stripper NOT sandpaper. You're almost guaranteed to sand through the veneer if you just sand it all. Been there done that too! Paint stripper is also a lot easier and faster than sanding.

Do you want them black again or are you going for oak? If you're staying black don't bother stripping all the old paint off. Repair the flaws and have fresh paint sprayed on them. The silicone deal could be a real problem though. You may be able to get it off where it's on the paint/veneer but if it got into the underlying wood through scrapes you're going to have a hell of a time getting it out.
Oak is also a solution is that easier then?

Oak is gonna be much harder to get off all the wax/silicone and black paint without damaging the thin layer of veneer as sanding will be required, and then matching the color of any wood repairs with stain--stay with black.

I have checked what was used is Pledge cedar oil for furniture. I can not find information about the ingredients. is this product also difficult to get of?

it is this product:

Attachments

• pledge.jpg
    pledge.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 10
I'm not familiar with that stuff, it may not have silicone in it which would be great. I'd contact pledge and ask them if it has silicone in it. If it doesn't, I'd clean, fix damage, scuff and repaint.

Suppose i thoroughly clean them first. Is it also possible to do a refinish of the speakers with black tung oil and will it get rid of the blank spots? I need to touch up some spots on the speakers with woodfiller and will black tung oil work on that also?

The previous owner of my 90s had them professionally stripped of the black paint and the look great

Is black dye wood an solution. I made some pictures of some of my problem areas:

2d904824219df7c15e6bddd36ab75309.jpg

410041adb5bdba8a0e08671ea9ffe3b0.jpg

d84e8630178a2939dbbd5eb06b3b916a.jpg

Unless you are gonna get super anal-retentive about them being perfect, that minimal damage will visually disappear with the black shoe polish method I described previously. Get the black paste Kiwi shoe polish and apply like car wax.

Unless you are gonna get super anal-retentive about them being perfect, that minimal damage will visually disappear with the black shoe polish method I described previously. Get the black paste Kiwi shoe polish and apply like car wax.
To be honest i am a little bit super anal. I do not want them to be showroom new. Before i did not care much because they where my rear speakers. But i am now using them as fronts.

The pictures are only a selection of the small blanc spots which are basically all over the speakers.

Also the room is very light so i can see a lot on the speakers.

Yes I do now if only I can figure out how to post pictures on here........

In quick reply Click on advanced at the bottom right, then click on manage attachments, then click browse, you will be able to select pics from your cpu, after you select pics then click upload then you can eaither click submit reply or preview post, done.

The pictures are only a selection of the small blanc spots which are basically all over the speakers.

Makes you wonder what happened to them. I know the black gets scuffed easy but man, the original owner paid maybe a couple weeks salary on those. I saw a big krell amp (ksa $#%?) on ebay that looked like it was dragged behind a truck for several miles. I can see one or two woopsys from moving and so on...

I would try the shoe polish. It's a great idea. Black magic marker can work on little dots. Just push it in and wipe it off.

Nice speaks btw!
Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom