Walsh Driver Thoughts?

the walsh tweeter is called such because it used walsh principals of sound propagation and was produced under license from ohm, who held the walsh patent rights. while its design is essentially a dome tweeter with the dome replaced with a cone, it is a little more complicated than that. the walsh actually functions as super tweeter that operates between 10khz and 28khz. many have a special fondness for the walsh equipped infinitys. i have some monitor IIa's i won't part with.

here's an excerpt from infinity literature of the time, describing the walsh tweeter.

Attachments

• walsh desc.jpg
    walsh desc.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 21
Thank you for the input and the read!

I was familiar with the Ohm factor and the basic principles. Now thanks to your post I can see the more complete definition of the driver.

Does not appear to be smoke and mirrors by any means. Which is something I have always been critical of with Ohm's "non walsh" models.

yes, a severed VC lead is the most common failure, although it is possible to repair continuity issues (as outlined in the previously mentioned thread). it is always advisable to check continuity if possible before purchase. another common cause of failure is damage to the cone, which is made from quite thin aluminum foil which is VERY unforgiving to impact and cannot be repaired if crumpled.

replacement originals are rare, but do seem to turn up a few times a year. there are reproductions being produced from modern materials that, for the most part, seem to be well received amongst the collectors who have tried them. that said, no testing data has been presented that gives any indication as to actual performance figures of the reproduction tweeters vs the originals. that is, are the reproductions acting in the same frequency range and with the same accuracy as the originals.

I read the Posts regarding the reproductions. Interesting indeed. As you stated measurements would be nice. Either way nice to know there are reasonable options.

Back
Top Bottom