2013 Chicago-Area AKers - Save Sat., Feb. 23rd.

I'll be there, thank you in advance. Please PM me with any food I can provide. I own a pizza/catering place so preparing food for large groups is a daily routine.

I'll be there, thank you in advance. Please PM me with any food I can provide. I own a pizza/catering place so preparing food for large groups is a daily routine.

Rich, I'll get back to you on your kind offer soon. This event is getting pretty big as last year we had between 50 and 60 attendees as best I can recall.

Since I just finished the Zilch mod for Minimus 7s, have an unmodded set and a pair of similarly sized ADS 200Cs, it would be cool to have everyone bring their favorite small speakers to do an unofficial small speaker shootout.

I have some ADS L300s I can bring.

How big is small? 5" woofer or less?

12" tall or less?

Last edited:
We could set some limits but let's just leave it to what anyone wants to bring. JohnVF has some hot small KEF's that I'd love to hear.........

If I can make it, I can bring the Kef LS-50s. They're the only small speakers I have left but they're very nice. I might could swing a beautiful pair of Spendor BC-1s but they're not small, and I think I'd have to bring an amp for the Kefs because they're so freakishly picky.

If I can make it, I can bring the Kef LS-50s. They're the only small speakers I have left but they're very nice. I might could swing a beautiful pair of Spendor BC-1s but they're not small, and I think I'd have to bring an amp for the Kefs because they're so freakishly picky.

John, here's hoping you can make it.

I hope we are ok with floor standers. I would like to hear speakers with drivers bigger than 5". There are reasonable size speakers with 12" woofers.

Sorry Kwing, we have set a 15" minimum woofer size for "small" speakers. :D

Seriously, if you bring 'em, we'll play 'em. My "moderately sized" B&W DM3000s are also now in the Living Room and sound pretty good in that larger space.

In previous years, Blzatrl had had some rather large JBLs here too (4300s?). I only suggest smaller as they are easier for y'all to haul.

Last edited:
Bob, do you think we can squeeze a pair of Sound Labs in? Actually these aren't the real thing (they're actually curved) but are full size mockups of Majestic 845s a customer and his wife may be purchasing. He says they dwarf the other speakers :D

SoundLab845mockup50.jpg

Brian, not without a Sawzall.

I'm guessing those badboys are 9' tall comparing them to the height of the closet door behind the one on right.

Brian, not without a Sawzall.
That can be arranged :lmao:

I'm guessing those badboys are 9' tall comparing them to the height of the closet door behind the one on right.
Actually they're just shy of 8 ft. tall, designed to fit below an 8 ft. ceiling. They said they could go with the slightly taller model but want to leave their options open for when they move.

Back
Top Bottom