album storage: bin or shelf?

I mocked one up to see what I could fit on a single sheet of 3/4 ply. I haven't built it outside of the computer yet but here it is, cut list and drawing attached.
If I may suggest something, I think you should avoid having the upper shelf hanging on screws/glue. Maybe have a gap in the bottom divider, about 2/3 of the way back, and have a vertical support from shelf-to-shelf there? Looks like you could squeeze that out of the sheet. You could do some triangle supports out of the remaining scraps for even more strength. P.S. about 12-1/4" for a jacket. Some are larger. 12.5" is probably the min. width you'd want the actual shelf space... hmm..

I still use a Peaches crate I bought at the store in Denver, CO. in the early 80's. I
think I might take off the rear label and frame it. Anybody know-are they still in business?

If I may suggest something, I think you should avoid having the upper shelf hanging on screws/glue. Maybe have a gap in the bottom divider, about 2/3 of the way back, and have a vertical support from shelf-to-shelf there? Looks like you could squeeze that out of the sheet. You could do some triangle supports out of the remaining scraps for even more strength. P.S. about 12-1/4" for a jacket. Some are larger. 12.5" is probably the min. width you'd want the actual shelf space... hmm..

Good call. A couple 1-1/2" wide strips, cut @ 16 inches long and glued / screwed under the top shelf to the side walls would really add a lot of strength.

In the interest of not taking this thread too far off topic, there is a thread with this bin in the DYI section.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=337891

Lp bins

Thanks "Chimpkin" I had a local College Kid build these for me from your plans.
I used "Cabinet Grade" ply from Home Depot (30.00 a sheet) and used Minwax Polyshade (Stain & Poly in one) I would NOT recommend this product.
It says to apply with a brush- poor results (or my lack of experience) but a Rag worked much better. I can now finally FIND what I am looking for and enjoy my collection much more! See Photos of both old and new storage.
Thanks Again!!!! Jeff

Equipment: B&K 202+ Amp, Counterpoint Pre-Amp (1960 NOS Amperex BB's in Line & Phono Stage) Magnepan 3.6's - Custom x-overs Energy 15" Sub, Dual CS 5000 Grado Platinum, VPI 16.5 Cleaning Machine.

Attachments

• Bin 4.jpg
    Bin 4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Bin 5.jpg
    Bin 5.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Old Storage.jpg
    Old Storage.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 33
I still use a Peaches crate I bought at the store in Denver, CO. in the early 80's. I
think I might take off the rear label and frame it. Anybody know-are they still in business?

Peaches Records is out of business but you can still get the crates, as was brought to my attention a couple of days ago in a thread I started:

I wouldn't mind having a few of those crates they used to sell.

I ordered two of the short "half stack" 12"x12" crates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom