Scott 337

sinewaver

Picked one of these up last week and the only (!) thing wrong with it is the dial cord. Even all the lights work. Some hammer mechanic did a repair that was, at best, creative. I noted the routing and removed it. Tuning it by it's cap drum, it has quite a nice tuner. Even the cabinet will come out looking good. My first Scott piece. I'd appreciate if anybody that has one of these could give me some clue how the dial cord anchors to the cap drum. A picture of it's detail from the back view would really be great. I need to know how many turns to put on the drum before routing the cord. I looked at a Sony analog tuner and it uses a single spring around the shaft that holds the cord by both ends. A single turn in both directions and on out. I suspect the Scott used two springs and they were anchored to the drum. It should be easy to calibrate the indicator since it has set screws on the cap shaft. In general, I'm impressed with it's build. I know it's after the golden age of Scott but still a nice bit.

Thanks Guy, the pix did help. The one shows a single loop on the drum. (one each direction) Still need to know if it should have two springs or one. I got to look at the site referenced on another thread about restringing a Sony. Between the two I have enough to get started. If I need to start completely over, where do you get suitable cord ? Looking forward to doing this project up right.

Back
Top Bottom