Class A in CA-1000

asdf_x2

Is the Class A in CA-1000 (and 800/1010/2010) Real True Class A?
I mean does it stay in Class A for it's rated output, which is 15W@8ohm for CA-1000.

Some places state that it is real Class A and some regard it as not. It doesn't really matter to me whether it is either or since it sounds very good to me.

attachment.php

If i am understanding this correctly i can calculate the bias current when i know the voltage across the emitter resistor and it's value is known. From Ohm's law: I=U/R.
Class AB (0.047/2)/0.47 = 0.05A -> 50mA.
Class A (0.94/2)/0.47 = 1A.

Searching AK lead to this:
I am using the same RMS formula that most manufacturers would use when they rate their Class A output power which is (Total bias current / 1.414)^2 * 8 (ohms)
-> (2A/1.414)² * 8ohm = 16W.
If i'm understanding and or calculating it right, it seems that it really is real Class A.

I have a CA-1000 (recapped and the rest) and i feel there is subtle but noticeable difference between Class AB and Class A. Especially on headphones.
In Class A highs are more delicate, accurate and more clean. But what surprised me was that bass is more prominent, powerful and tuneful.

CA-1000 specs state:
Class AB power bandwidth is 5Hz...50kHz. and freq response is 10Hz...100kHz -1...0dB.
Class A power bandwidth is 5Hz...100kHz. and freq response is 10Hz...100kHz -1...0dB.
So that shouldn't explain the perceived increase is bass power.

Is it possible that there is more energy in lower frequencies because of Class A operates on lower voltage in CA-1000 and therefore there is more current capability from the transformer? <- I could be totally wrong here, this is just uneducated speculation.

Attachments

• ca1000_idle_current.jpg
    ca1000_idle_current.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 123
I
... i feel there is subtle but noticeable difference between Class AB and Class A. Especially on headphones.
I can't offer any insight to the rest of your post, but I feel the same way, regarding the headphones (via a CA-2010).

The CA-1000 is one of the nicest sounding amps in Class A that I've ever heard (rivals a B-2 VFET amp). I can't attest to the technical aspects of Class A, but it sure runs warm/hot like it's operating in Class A!

I had a couple of hours of sweet CA-1010 Class A time last night. The Class A in the CA-1000 (which I also have) is equally delightful. Get the room nice and quiet, put on some great source material and the difference is clear.

Back
Top Bottom