Let's see your cans!

A. Jones speakers are good. I have the BS21's and my friend has the BS22's (with Grado SR225i cans as well). However I don't feel like they can touch my Q701s :)

The speakers I mean. Grados are good but just not my cup of tea. Learned through ownership.

The speakers I mean. Grados are good but just not my cup of tea. Learned through ownership.

I really like my Q701 especially after I modded them, but I'm really really liking these new Pioneer speakers.

Are you using yours nearfield? What is the rest of your BS21 speaker setup?

Digital source: Spotify or FLAC via Foobar2000 w/wasapi > USB Audioengine D1

Analog source: Ortofon 2M Red > Technics SL-D2 w/ Audioquest Sorbothane mat > ART DJ Pre II set to 200PF and +2 gain

Headroom Micro Amp as preamp as well as headphone amp. Topping TP21 t-amp driving the speakers.

The speakers are what they are. I'm not wanting for power. In nearfield they clear enough even though they're dark and laid back. If I sit back a little from the desk in my comfy chair however or on my bed that's where the action happens with the bass. For 4 inch drivers they can put out well enough, not like a subwoofer could but they work. Just not in nearfield.

1970's Midland International 17-001 headphones.
Made in Japan.

001_zps48c7710c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sony MDR-1RBT. Bought these around 7 months ago and use them daily during my commute to work. Love the convenience of being wireless via Bluetooth when I'm out and about. They have a 1/8" input jack to use in wired mode which does sound slightly better and the 30 hour battery life is a big plus as is the ability to make and receive phone calls with the headphones. That they sound great for a wireless headphone while being supremely comfortable (circumaural) is a big plus.

10265477905_b9f6172008_c.jpg

Driver Unit : Closed supra-aural, Dynamic
30 mm, dome type (CCAW Voice Coil)
Sensitivity (db) : 100 dB/mW
Frequency Response : 12 - 22,000 Hz

Excellent Tangle Proof Cord. 5 ft.

Perfect for symphonic metal. Great tone and response.

Attachments

• _DSC8187_610x374.jpg
    _DSC8187_610x374.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 60
Found this pair of JVC 5944 quad headphones today. I don't have any quad gear, but I could not resist their cool factor. Test on 2ch, they sound pretty good and are very comfortable for their size.

Last edited:
I wired up my AKG Q701 so I can hook it to the speaker taps on my Emotiva Mini-X speaker amp.

900x900px-LL-487659ca_20140724_125721_LLS.jpeg

900x900px-LL-40a70f1f_20140724_121623_LLS.jpeg

I cut the 3.5mm end off of the supplied 9 meter cable that I never use and decided to hook it up. I used a multi-meter to figure out which color wire was ground, left, and right and quickly wired it up. It gets loud at the 8 o'clock position on the volume knob so there is barely any throw on the knob, but the knob has fine enough control to dial in the volume I desire so it works just fine. The other option at my disposal is to set a negative preamp level in the Equalizer APO program I use for system wide EQ. If I set a -6dB preamp level it gives me a bit better control of the volume which lets me bring it up to about 9 o'clock on the knob. It is almost dead silent with the music paused, so no unbearable hiss to speak of, just a very very slight hiss that you'd really have to listen for.

The sound is ridiculous. I haven't really used my Q701 in a long time, but I don't remember them sounding quite this good. Huge soundstage, great imaging, killer bass impact(for a Q701 anyway) and tons of detail. EQ'ing them with Equalizer APO is nice as well. I added just a touch of sub-bass, have a very narrow mild cut at 2k, another cut centered at 7k and then added a touch of sparkle centered at 14k.

The cable end doesn't look very clean, but I intend to fix that in the future.

Back
Top Bottom