The Perfect McIntosh speaker to be paired with an MC500 . . . ?

damacman

Resident Psycho
So, if you had your choice - which McIntosh speaker would you pair with an MC500? I've got a fairly large front room that is just begging for a really nice 2-channel set-up. I can set the speakers up along the short wall, which is about 10 foot wide.

You guys know me - go big or go home. 62caddy and kevzep must play fair . . .

XR290 have never heard them but go line array or go home. Or a XRT20 or XRT22. I like my stack with XR19 better than the XRT20 alone. The XR290 was Roger's McIntosh pinnacle and you like the hard to find search for rare McIntosh stuff.

XR7s . . . too petite. XRT2ks . . . too much moolah. Martin Logans and Big JBLs . . . maybe at some point I'll try some of each but this go it's gonna' be McIntosh speakers.

On another note, I was TOTALLY stressed out yesterday. So, the misses took her daughter and said, "Hey, we've got some errands to run. Play some music and relax." Good call. I cued up Rage Against the Machine's debut album on the office system and cranked it up to I CAN FEEL THAT IN MY CHEST levels. By the time the album was done, my stress was GONE.

McIntosh MC2300s save the day yet again . . .

XR7s . . . too petite. XRT2ks . . . too much moolah. Martin Logans and Big JBLs . . . maybe at some point I'll try some of each but this go it's gonna' be McIntosh speakers.

On another note, I was TOTALLY stressed out yesterday. So, the misses took her daughter and said, "Hey, we've got some errands to run. Play some music and relax." Good call. I cued up Rage Against the Machine's debut album on the office system and cranked it up to I CAN FEEL THAT IN MY CHEST levels. By the time the album was done, my stress was GONE.

McIntosh MC2300s save the day yet again . . .

Ha ha ha monday I popped a 501...that sucker shut down on me. So much for the 1 watt crowd chimming in saying that's all we need.

I think I need 1.2 kw:banana::banana::banana:

Ha ha ha monday I popped a 501...that sucker shut down on me. So much for the 1 watt crowd chimming in saying that's all we need.

I think I need 1.2 kw:banana::banana::banana:

The look on your face when I showed up was nearing genuine all-out panic levels! :D

You sir appear to be in arrears on updated pics ...

That I am! They are coming soon! I got the C2300 home and realized that my current rack isn't going to cut it. I've got a good temporary setup going; but, we hit the baseball game tonight. Pics coming tomorrow! :D

You know the XR7 was designed with a removable top so you can double stack them. If you get two that is 272 lbs per side. 8 12inch woofers. 4 8inch mids, 8 peerless tweeters, and 4 mac upper mid drivers.

The XR19 is very good by itself. I ran mine solo for a while along a 10 foot wall. A very great bass smooth low to mid transition and super soundstage. Better than a pair of XR7s. I found the XR19 fuses will handle 500 plus wpc brfore blowing.

I still think a pair of RR's Magnum Opus XR290s is optimum. I read a article where the Chinese triamped a pair in an auditorium with six 1.2Kws then sold concert tickets listening to recorded music. So as i see it your strapped MC2300s on woofers, MC2600s driving mids and MC500 running the tweets. You know you would have to drive it in all the combo's just to say you did. The power guard would keep mids and tweets singing while the MC2300 would make those 8 12s their bitches.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom