C45 firmware differences

ajdo

Hi All,
My C45 has firmware version 1.02 and everything seems to work correctly. Sub & balance trim from remote also works well.
I enquires to see if there was a new firmware for my C45 and based on my system, I was told there was a more recent ic available: 133-70300 which I received a few days ago.

Before I swap ic, does anyone know the difference between what I had (see attached pics) and the new ic I receive from McIntosh ?

Thanks... AJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 39
That IC should be in some conducting foam to protect against static discharge......

Have no idea about firmware...........

Before I swap ic firmware on my C45, does anyone know the difference between the ones above. Would be nice to know what to look for.
Lastly, could the firmware change the sound of my C45 or is firmware mostly for setup modifications purposes ?
Thx... AJ

Ron: Called McIntosh support and they have no idea of the difference in firmware lol
I was basically told very nicely of course, if it ain't broken / if I don't have any issue, don't fix it ! Support also explained the last major update for C45 was balance control. Since balance control already works properly, they advised not to change anything...
AJ

Last edited:
I recently entered the McIntosh family and was wondering if firmware updates could have an impact on C45 sound. Mc support told me C45 firmware updates were done to fix system/setup process bugs but had no impact on sound. I'm swapping C45 for C2300 which I should receive tomorrow, it should blend well with D100 and MC352.
Did not want to resale C45 without the latest update if firmware could bring next C45 owner a better McIntosh sound experience.

Thx for your input
AJ

I recently entered the McIntosh family and was wondering if firmware updates could have an impact on C45 sound. Mc support told me C45 firmware updates were done to fix system/setup process bugs but had no impact on sound. I'm swapping C45 for C2300 which I should receive tomorrow, it should blend well with D100 and MC352.
Did not want to resale C45 without the latest update if firmware could bring next C45 owner a better McIntosh sound experience.

Thx for your input
AJ

Sound quality, as we all know can be purely subjective when comparing audio components at this level. Especially when your dealing with pre-amps. My experiences with modern McIntosh pre-amps have shown that the only discernible differences are control and input/output features. Even tube vs. solid state have shown very little, if any audible differences to my ears. As long as your C45 is set up and operating correctly, I doubt very much that you'll actually hear much difference within your current system with a C2300. Good luck though.

JAYVIS: I was waiting to receive, setup and listen to c2300 before responding. I will have to disagree about NOT hearing a difference between C45 and C2300... I'm not going to comment in too much details at this time but the difference is impressive. Running everything in Tone Bypass for now and the C2300 is spectacular in the vocals and instruments details in comparison to C45. WOW !!!
AJ

JAYVIS: I was waiting to receive, setup and listen to c2300 before responding. I will have to disagree about NOT hearing a difference between C45 and C2300... I'm not going to comment in too much details at this time but the difference is impressive. Running everything in Tone Bypass for now and the C2300 is spectacular in the vocals and instruments details in comparison to C45. WOW !!!
AJ

Sounds like something is definitely wrong with your C45 or this could be a case of "the new component on the block is always better" syndrome. My C45 has never exhibited any of the issues you've been describing in your posts about yours and I've compared mine to more than a couple other modern McIntosh pre-amps. Never heard any discernible differences between any of them. It would probably be a good idea to have your C45 thoroughly checked by a qualified technician before selling it. Could be something very simple. Glad you've found an adequate replacement in the C2300.

Brought C45 to Authorized Mc Repair shop last week, friend of a friend. He called me back explaining he could not find any issue with it and it sounded like a C45 should sound. He actually had another C45 in his shop which he also used for comparison. He simply explained, having to use the treble to get the sound I liked was something normal. There were so many variables, just like using EQ on C48/C50 to personalize sound one appreciates.
Thank you for you input though, I'm very glad to have purchased C2300. Sound fantastic to my ears which is the most important... I think...
Best, AJ

Brought C45 to Authorized Mc Repair shop last week, friend of a friend. He called me back explaining he could not find any issue with it and it sounded like a C45 should sound. He actually had another C45 in his shop which he also used for comparison. He simply explained, having to use the treble to get the sound I liked was something normal. There were so many variables, just like using EQ on C48/C50 to personalize sound one appreciates.
Thank you for you input though, I'm very glad to have purchased C2300. Sound fantastic to my ears which is the most important... I think...
Best, AJ

I'm curious ajdo, why are you using another pre-amp (C45 & C2300) in conjunction with your D100 when your only source material is digital music files?

Jayvis: I tried the a D100 as a Pre/DAC, which sounded really good at first, in comparison to C45 + D100 but the sound was really to bright and after a few days, the sharp sound of the D100 as a Pre/DAC was not very pleasant to my ears. Also, the D100 does not have Base/Treble or EQ adjustments. The C2300 gives more "body" and removes the "sharpness" from the D100 sound used as a preamp.

I think MONTIS explained it very well and after a few days using D100 as Pre/DAC I agree with him:

"The musical output from the D100 is extremely clean and very revealing which can seem very impressive upon hearing such detail and resolution, and some folks like it that way and stay with it as a preamp/DAC. I personally find it gives too much detail and the music to be too forward and too bright, and unforgiving of poorer recording.
Through a preamp the music seems to get more body and weight and is rather massaged with added warmth while the extreme detail of poor recording is smoothed over and much more pleasing. Some may describe the results as more 'musical' or more 'analogue' sounding."

Lastly, I do not exclude moving in the directing of using a turn-table to get the real experience and sound potential the C2300 can bring. One step at a time :)

Not sure where you live, but if you are in NY/NJ area would gladly let you try the C2300 for a few day if interrested. I believe these types of experiences should be shared.
AJ

Last edited:
Jayvis: I tried the a D100 as a Pre/DAC, which sounded really good at first, in comparison to C45 + D100 but the sound was really to bright and after a few days, the sharp sound of the D100 as a Pre/DAC was not very pleasant to my ears. Also, the D100 does not have Base/Treble or EQ adjustments. The C2300 gives more "body" and removes the "sharpness" from the D100 sound used as a preamp.

I think MONTIS explained it very well and after a few days using D100 as Pre/DAC I agree with him:

"The musical output from the D100 is extremely clean and very revealing which can seem very impressive upon hearing such detail and resolution, and some folks like it that way and stay with it as a preamp/DAC. I personally find it gives too much detail and the music to be too forward and too bright, and unforgiving of poorer recording.
Through a preamp the music seems to get more body and weight and is rather massaged with added warmth while the extreme detail of poor recording is smoothed over and much more pleasing. Some may describe the results as more 'musical' or more 'analogue' sounding."

Lastly, I do not exclude moving in the directing of using a turn-table to get the real experience and sound potential the C2300 can bring. One step at a time :)

Not sure where you live, but if you are in NY/NJ area would gladly let you try the C2300 for a few day if interrested. I believe these types of experiences should be shared.
AJ

Thanks for the offer but I live in the Midwest. I never listen to digital music files since I've never felt they do justice to the music. Just don't have the musical sound quality yet that my ears are used to. I'm probably what you'd call "old school" when it comes to two channel audio. Grew up listening to vinyl, cassette tape and cd's. Until the new technology advances to a point where the sound quality surpasses the obvious convenience factor, digital music files just aren't worth the investment to me. Hope you enjoy your McIntosh toys and someday gravitate toward some of the older source material out there that McIntosh was built on and truly excels at reproducing outstanding sound on.

Back
Top Bottom