C45 vs C220 while waiting for C2300

ajdo

Hi All,
I'm currently using C45 coupled with MC352, D100 and ML Motion 60 speakers. I'm waiting for C2300 to become available to swap preamp.

I only steam music online Spotify/Tidal or from my NAS server. I do not use record player, CD, DVD or Blue-ray. 75% Music / 25% Movies.
I like my C45 and don't think I will ever use it for anything else but 2.1. To my ears, if I use C45 "Tone Bypass" the sound seems veiled, especially in the voice. I need to push Treble to 4 o'clock to hear voices adequately for music or movies.

Should I send C45 for servicing and would it change anything ?
Would I get a music sound improvement going for c220 while I wait for C2300 ?

Thx... AJ

If you have a source with variable volume control. try bypassing the c45 to see if it is the c45 or if you just prefer more high end. And by bypass, I mean wire say the D100 directly to the 352. If the sound doesn't sound veiled, it's the c45. Otherwise it's the D100, 352, the speakers, or just your preferences.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question clearly. If the C45's tone bypass switch is set in the "on" position, the treble and bass controls should be disabled. My ears have never heard a "veiled" mid range (voice frequency) on my C45. Check your hook-ups and set-up on your C45. Something doesn't sound right.

This is what I meant, when Tone Bypass is "on" (red light on) or when Tone Bypass is "off " with Bass and Treble set at 12 O'clock, C45 sounds veiled. I need to increase treble for voices to sound good. I also never read anything of the sort about C45 that is why I posted this. Thought maybe C45 may need servicing.
To test, I am going to remove the C45 and use D100 as preamp and see if I get the same result. Keep you updated...
AJ

This might seem like an obvious question, but how good are your source music files? Are they uncompressed or FLAC? C45 + D100 + MC352 + ML Motion 60 should be a great combo.

Yes, try the D100 + MC352 and let us know if that makes a difference.

My sources are either Spotify Premium, Tedal Hifi of Flac files from my NAS.
Just removed C45 from my system, connected D100 directly to MC352 and the music came alive !!!! Wow, what a difference ...
I would keep thing as is but D100 does not have Sub output.... Unfortunately!
So what are my options while I wait for c2300 to become available on the market,
can anything be done to C45 ?
Any thought ?
Thx...AJ

While running the D100 as a preamp/DAC you are using the variable outputs. The D100 has both RCA and XLR variable outputs, so connect your sub to whichever variable outputs you're not using. If your sub has only RCA inputs, use those to the sub and XLR to the MC352. If your sub has high level inputs, you could use those but I'm not a fan of that method.

I could be wrong but I doubt the C45 has a high-pass crossover to the mains, in which case using the 2nd set of pre-out from the D100 is the same as using sub outputs except you'll need both left and right cables from the D100 to the sub, whereas the C45 sub-out combines both channels.

I connected as you suggested MC352 to XLR viariable outputs of D100, also connected my Sub (JL e112) to RCA variable outputs of the D100 and everything seems to work nicely. Did not notice any cross-over settings on C45. Everything sounds much nicer directly through D100. What a distinct difference in sound !
Any advice on what could be wrong with C45 ? Not sure at this point if I should keep C45. I suppose I can do with D100 as a preamp/DAC until I can find a c2300.
Thanks very much for your suggestions !
AJ

Thx Capt... Contacted Audio Classic a few weeks ago and left my name in case they get c2300 in their inventory. Will call them again tomorrow just in case... They forgot me :)
Thx AJ

Back
Top Bottom