amplifier RCA vs. screw connection

KCBBQ

I have a pair of MC30s and it appears that one of the original RCA jacks has finally bit the dust.

Before I go through the process of replacing the RCA jacks on both amps, is there any benefit (or drawback) of using the input connection screws on the barrier strip as a connection alternative?

Thanks!

Why don't you replace the barrier strips with identical new ones and use the spade lug screw-in gold plated connectors that are sold from Hong Kong on ebay? Many people on AK use them. You keep the amps original that way.

Last edited:
John,
I think OP is asking about using barrier strip INPUTS in lieu of RCA inputs...
I believe, barrier strip has both speaker out and Pre IN on MC30.
Never tried that on my MC60s

Correct, on the MC30 you can connect the preamp via RCA or screw connectors (the last spot on the right of the barrier strip). If you look at a similiarly aged preamp like the C11, there are screw terminal outputs in addition to RCA outputs. Over time, RCA connects gained popularity (for example, on my MX110 and C33 there are only RCA outputs to the amp).

I guess my most basic question is: before I start disconnecting everything to have the RCA plugs replaced in my MC30s, is there a noticeable difference in sound quality by using the screw terminal preamp inputs on the amp vs. RCA connections? Replacement RCA jacks or female RCA-to-screw connectors are cheap, so it isn't a budget issue.

Thanks!

...I guess my most basic question is: before I start disconnecting everything to have the RCA plugs replaced in my MC30s, is there a noticeable difference in sound quality by using the screw terminal preamp inputs on the amp vs. RCA connections?....

No difference at all. All you need to do is strip one end of a set of RCA cables and you're up and running. Check the schematics and trace how the RCA jacks are related to the barrier strip.

Frankly, I've replaced the RCA connectors if the ceramic insulator has cracked or parts of the ceramic has fallen out. They are easily deformed when that happens.

BTW, hardwired connections on a barrier strip were common in recording studios because their connections were more reliable. That still stands today.

Cheers,

David

Interesting...
I've seen them on old MC amps and exclusively on industrial amps.
Regards,

For completeness, I can verify this is also possible on the MC60 (at least without modifications). The rightmost screw on the barrier strip is, electrically, the exact same node as the RCA center pin and the next screw over is ground.

Is any noise introduced by exposing the twisted pair? In other words, does the RCA connector provide any extra protection against noise intrusion?

Is any noise introduced by exposing the twisted pair? In other words, does the RCA connector provide any extra protection against noise intrusion?

Practically, no. Some RCA jacks have a metal grounded cover over the soldered area, but removing the soldered connection and RCA jack from the equation should more than make up for this. The difference, if any, would be a challenge for even the best test equipment in the world to measure. This isn't like balanced vs. unbalanced cabling...

Gents:

Thanks so much for chiming in; this is the info I was seeking. I'll get to work this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom