McIntosh 240 - can it be saved?

Lo-Fidelity

This McIntosh 240 belongs to a buddy of mine. It has been setting in an unheated and un-air-conditioned garage for at least 20 years. I trust the AK experts. What do you guys think about getting her going again?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 217
Anything can be saved. At some point it costs more than buying a new one.

I would take lots of photos in and out and send them to someone that does Mac restos and see what they say.

Transformers are potted. As long as they're ok, it can be restored electrically. I rather like taking the ratty ones and getting them going again.

Case in point are the MC75s shown here as received. Yes, that's stipple ceiling material as well as rust, etc. They cleaned up rather well. Our own esteemed Analog Addict now has them.

Good luck with that one!

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• DSC01256.JPG
    DSC01256.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC01257.jpg
    DSC01257.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01260.jpg
    DSC01260.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 194
Well I had to go out to the shop tonight and open her up. Barely know what I am looking at, but it fun trying to trace the wire paths and look over the parts. Looks like the capacitors are toast, but didn't see any evidence of fire or trauma. Two wires look like someone nicked the insulation with the soldering iron. Any thoughts on these pics?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 169
Wow!
This really looks neglected! There was a similar one on eBay recently....
Any away, inside pictures show reasonably well. Or just better...
Cost of restoring this one might be high comparing the end value but if you could do the work, even just exterior cleanup, you might come ahead.
Good luck with your restoration, I think this amp is worth it...

I would like to try to get it running. Sounds like I need to get the transformers checked out before getting too carried away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
IIRC, you can get nice reproduction chassis for around 250 bucks. If the transformers are all good, that is probably where I would start.

MC240 Can it be saved ?

Hello

I have 2 MC75 on the bench right now for restoration , chassis need to be replaced

mine are more beautifull than the one you can see usually on the web :thmbsp:

Those one are very rare "worldwide" version

to answer to your question : YES , I will do it if I was you !

Attachments

• MC75-1.jpg
    MC75-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 94
  • MC75-3.jpg
    MC75-3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 74
Looks like the capacitors are toast, but didn't see any evidence of fire or trauma. Two wires look like someone nicked the insulation with the soldering iron. Any thoughts on these pics?

How do you know the caps are toast? You can't tell by looking at them. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked fine once you brought it up on a variac for a day or so.

Hello

I have 2 MC75 on the bench right now for restoration , chassis need to be replaced

Patrice,

What is the "worldwide" version?

Reason I ask is because I think my 240 might also be one of those too.

Mine is the only MC 240 I have ever seen without the voltage switch...

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 78
"worldwide" version is with a switch 115V/230V with a red plate who avoid a wrong selection

Hre is a short list with "worldwide" version :

MC40 with voltage switch and red plate + decal
MC75 with voltage switch and red plate + decal
MA230 with voltage switch and red plate + decal. Top cover behind front panel without the long decal
MC225 with voltage switch and red plate + decal
MC240 (late) with voltage switch and red plate + decal
MC275 with voltage switch and red plate + decal
C22 with voltage switch and red plate + decal

Silk screening is different ( than US version ) for all of these models !

here is the C22 "worlwide" decal

Attachments

• C22-07.JPG
    C22-07.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I'll admit I don't know a cap from a resistor, so I was a bit out of line on saying caps are toast. Some of what I think are caps have cracks in them. You might be able to see them in this photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 67
Hello

Wow! Those look great!

I'll admit I don't know a cap from a resistor, so I was a bit out of line on saying caps are toast. Some of what I think are caps have cracks in them. You might be able to see them in this photo.

Molding seams. Shouldn't be a problem unless they're actually split.

Listen - Mc240s are up to almost 55 years old in some cases. Restoring something cosmetically can be overrated.

Spray it down with WD40 - let it sit, wipe it off, bring it up on a variac for a day or so, check the voltages and give it a go.

At the end of the day it's still a McIntosh Mc240 and a great amp. And it will sound good enough. And it may be within spec. Who knows? It will give you lots of enjoyment. No need to go overboard with new chassis, etc. Why take away all the years? I bet it wouldn't look bad with a wipe down.

Back
Top Bottom