ca1010 question

2011etec

im going to hook up a power amp to my ca1010 and use its preamp.so in the owners manual it looks like I uncouple the ca1010 by the switch on the back and then plug in in the poweramp to the preout jacks on the left.correct?just don't want to cause any catastrophic damage by doing it wrong.of course speaker to back of poweramp.

That sounds right to me. That coupler switch is notorious for getting dirty (oxidized/corroded), causing drop-outs and sometimes even more unpleasant audio effects... in other words, you might want to clean the coupler switch with DeOxit before making the connection & throwing the switch! :)

I've done it several times with a CR-1020 receiver to good effect.

I don't think there is easy any way to cause catastrophic damage. Were I you, I'd switch the speakers to "off" on the Yamaha just to be on the safe(st) side.

thanks .ive been known to get things completely backwards before so I just wanted to make sure.so hook her up and lets hear 250 wpc and see if the speakers sing a little.

What power amp are you using that's gonna be a step up from the Yammy? What I'm getting at is the CA-1010 is a pretty powerful unit.

Last edited:
hat sounds right to me. That coupler switch is notorious for getting dirty (oxidized/corroded), causing drop-outs and sometimes even more unpleasant audio effects... in other words, you might want to clean the coupler switch with DeOxit before making the connection & throwing the switch! :)
The pre-out is always"hot". Don't even need to use the coupler switch. All it does is disconnect the power amplifier from the pre-amp.

FWIW and IMHO, the power amp section on the CA-1010 is better than the linestage section, in an absolute sense (phono notwithstanding). keep that in mind as you try to find the best sound for your system.

What power amp are you using that's gonna be a step up from the Yammy? What I'm getting at is the CA-1010 is a pretty powerful unit.

I was wondering the same thing. The 1010 is quite powerful and clean. But I don't know much about stand alone amps.

when i got my 1010 it was dirty and noisy so i hooked up my nad 3020i through the preamp outs to isolate some noise. after that i always had a patch cord connecting the in and outs because that switch was scratchy. and yes it has alot of power on its own :smoke:

I was wondering the same thing. The 1010 is quite powerful and clean. But I don't know much about stand alone amps.
am now using the pre section right now of the ca1010 and the power amp is a Yamaha p2250 at 4 ohms is 250 wpc at .004 thd.nice combo though ive ordered or won a sunfire reference pre amp .my speakers like power .the more the better.though at the moment im playing with a pair of Yamaha 4115 pa speakers which are very efficient 102db vs 87 for my axioms.like the axioms much better, im just playing,the 4115 only handle approx. 100 or so watts vs the axioms at 400 wpc.

Last edited:
just a short update on the system as she stands.ca1010 pre,yamaha p2250 power amp and Yamaha 4115 speakers.been listening to cd,s and phono for a few days.no shortage of power .1/2 on the dial could get you arrested!at normal listening levels im actually impressed with the sound coming out of those big p.a . speakers.want it refined and smooth ,you got it!want it loud and rocking ,got ya covered there too!the horns are growing on me by the day.and the best part of it is the amp and speakers didn't cost a dime.

When I saw your amp I realized that's pro audio. Essentially you're running a PA and your 1010 is a quasi mixing board.:D

When I saw your amp I realized that's pro audio. Essentially you're running a PA and your 1010 is a quasi mixing board.:D
personally I see very little difference between a commercial or home amp .different hook ups,hardier build for sure.sounds good and if your a spec type person specs are just as good if not better.im sure you were just joking, but Im still confused as to why some people have a hate on for using commercial power amps in home systems?owe well, cant please everybody.

im sure you were just joking, but Im still confused as to why some people have a hate.

yes, I was, no hate here. In fact, I love pro audio gear. That stuff is built to last! As a former professional musician I've experienced the abuse this gear takes and then keeps on going. If only home gear was built as well:yes:

It's funny how I worry more about my vintage stuff now; and it's just sitting there; than I ever did about my pro gear as a gigging musician. I almost never gave it a second thought.

Back
Top Bottom