MD-DC-VA-PA -- 2014 AK Members 4th Annual Fall Get Together at Ohighway's

Some of us got some awesome deals on good old-fashioned solder. The good stuff; with lead. MMMM...lead!

Sorry you couldn't make it.

Jay I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Jim Thanks for hosting, Rick for the initial invitation, Steve for coordinating. I enjoyed meeting Hank and the trip back and forth. And it was nice putting faces to names (which unfortunately I likely won't remember, please don't be offended, I'm so bad with names) food was great. I'm proud of myself for resisting the shiny things and not going home with thing I don't need (like that super clean pioneer and that sony TT Met and spoke to some really nice people and the food and the beer were great! Thank you!

Jay some prayers for your grandmother, to Jim and his good lady for the use of their home many thanks. To a delightful lady Emma for lending an old man her ears, more thanks. To Steve for hauling me there and back more thanks. For old friends the pleasure of seeing y'all, be good. The Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will see you again in the spring.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who attended and to those who could not make, it you were missed. Always good to have this group in at our place. My apologies to those I did not get time to sit and converse with, and thanks to those who offered critique of my main rig.
Kudo's to Rick for making the trip, and to all who found time to make this AK get together a good time. It was great to see HJ and Emma make it, as well as many from PA, WV, and NJ. It truly has become the AK Mid-atlantic Group! I look forward to seeing you al at Ricks in the Spring, Note to Self: Remeber to have name tags available fo next time. I forgot them in the rush to get ready. :^(
Jay we will keep your Grandmother in our prayers, positive thoughts for you and your family.
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts; I think the whole ordeal we're going through is going to be harder than her actual exit from this world. We are the point the doctors just plain don't know a thing. We went through this early last month when they told us "any day" and she pulled through it.

The word this morning is that they got her "stabilized" and back in ICU on life support. The one doctor my mother spoke to this morning was trying to defend the actions last night; but did say there was over-reaction on everyone's part. So...she's still here this morning; how much is her and how much is machine I'm not sure. She's had a pretty poor quality of life the last two years and as much as we'd like to see her pull through; we're also hoping she'll be taken so she doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Although, I don't think about that aspect much. My grandmother was indirectly responsible for my audio addiction. She volunteered at the thrift shop in Old Towne Manassas, and it was on one my visits going through the piles of electronics (they wanted everything tested for 100% function before it hit the floor) that I found both my vintage Denon and PolkAudio Monitor5Jrs; the first setup that made me go "wow". Granted, I was on AK a year before that happened; having a real system and wanting to talk about it made me get more involved. And now 7 years later I've got the greatest group of people in the world I feel lucky to call friends.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Jay.

And sorry I missed the event. Could not get away from the Cub Scout trip with enough time to make the drive.

Wanted to throw out several thanks related to the event. First and foremost, thanks to all involved for accommodating the change in location. Thanks of course to Jim for agreeing to host at his place on short notice. Thanks to Steve for doing his usual excellent job with sending out invitations, tallying numbers for attendance etc. Also thanks to him for a ride home! Thanks to NJCanuck and Thain for coordinating the pony express effort to get the contrabass kits to me , and to Thain for transporting me over to Jims.

Most of all, thanks to everyone for just being there and being a great bunch of people! It was great seeing some of the regulars, and also some new faces!

First let me send my thoughts and prayers to Jay and his family. I hope your Grandmother fools them and is up and about real soon.

Sounds like I missed another great AK get together. Just too much family business to take care of before getting back on the road today (Typing this between flights at JFK). In the spirit of the event I did pick up a pair of speakers for Doug (Rogerfederer) that I hope to get to him next week when I have to travel up to the MD-DC area.

I hope Steve and others are going to post some pictures when they get a chance.

See everyone in the Spring!!!

Regards
Scott

Thanks to NJCanuck and Thain for coordinating the pony express effort to get the contrabass kits to me , and to Thain for transporting me over to Jims.

Happy to hear that you were feeling well enough to attend. :thmbsp: Wasn't sure the pony express was going to work out for while - Thanks Thain!

Hopefully, I'll be able to make it to the next one. Of course, I expect to hear some Contrabass while I'm there. :yes:

Wasn't sure the pony express was going to work out for while - Thanks Thain!

This group is Pony Express Qualified.

This past May at Jim's, I finally received a set of Luxman gear that was Pony Expressed from Tulsa. Bill bought it there for me and took it to Nashville where a friend from Knoxville picked it up. That first move to Nashville took years. My friend then packed and transported the gear a couple miles to Grainger49's house where ghazzer picked it up on his return trip from Mississippi. Steve had the gear for a month or four and brought it to Jim's where on May 18, 2014 I saw the gear for the first time. The CL pictures are dated May 21, 2011.

So it took some time and the help of many but it was well worth it. Not that I have had a chance to enjoy the R-1050, my brother borrowed that an hour after I got the lamps replaced.

hey speaking of pony express, i'm looking to get my AR5s from reston VA up to Harrison, NY near NYC. i'm going up for thanksgiving so if anyone is heading that way sooner pls let me know:yes:

I HATE having missed this event, as I LOVE keeping up with all you guys!! And, of course, the 'eats' are always a treat as well..... Anyway.....glad it was a good time for all. Jay, best wishes! I will make every attempt to make the next one!! Sorry to have missed the crab dip. Rick.....hope you're feeling better!! Tom D.

RF I could've got that more than halfway if I knew on Sunday . Sorry. You still would've needed a second party. (Oh well)

Back
Top Bottom