Realistic STA 2270, not bad!

cnh2

Hi,

I picked up one of these a while back for very little coin. Wasn't sure what I was getting into with a mid 80s Realistic. I wondered how it would compare with my '70s stuff?

Well, this is surprising me some. 65 watts x 2. I have it running a fairly efficient set of RSL 40s (3 way 12" JBL-esque array). Good power, good bass, clean highs, nice imaging. What's not to like? Pretty surprising considering this is not TOTL and mid 80s? It is a Japan made unit that draws 350 watts from the wall, though. Some of these Realistics are real sleepers, it seems. Nice tuner performance, as well!

cnh2

That's cool. I've been thinking about trying a realistic receiver myself.
STA-2500, original owner. I've replaced the power switch and the volume pot. So other than typical wear and tear it's held up quite well. No doubt in my mind it delivers all 100wpc cleanly. Still have my first Realistic CD player, only the third one sold by RS, and still fully functional. Well one gatcha, door likes to close on it's own from time to time. I think it's possessed. Bought a STA-2100 this past summer, cleaned her guts up and she cranks! Loves the old Mach One's.

Realistic receivers are great and for the most part can be picked up very cheap. I'm a pretty big fan of them.

I have a new old stock one that I purchased a few years ago. All the caps etc seem to be fine - It is quite a nice receiver. I only use it for a couple hours a year - just to make sure that it works. I will put it in service if one of my other receivers fails.

I have been quite happy with my Realistic receivers and amps.
Many of the speakers are terrific as well.

Recently have purchased a SA 10 amp, Tm 150 am/fm stereo and a matching SA 150 amp, STA 78 am/ fm receiver, two sets of minimus 7 speakers and finally a Optimums tt.

Back
Top Bottom