Do you keep old audio magazines?

JohnVF

Lunatic Member
In my never-ending quest for less clutter I've spied my giant stack of old Stereophile/Absolute Sound/Hi Fi News/Hi Fi Choice magazines, and I think they've gotta go. I never re-read them. And I'd rather read my collection of Listener magazine anyway. If they were all of the quality of Listener, I wouldn't feel the need. I think I'll keep Hi Fi News out of the discard pile. It's all a very good argument for a tablet.

In my never-ending quest for less clutter I've spied my giant stack of old Stereophile/Absolute Sound/Hi Fi News/Hi Fi Choice magazines, and I think they've gotta go. I never re-read them. ...

I sold two large boxes of Stereophile back issues last year after realizing that the magazines had been gathering dust in my basement and that I probably wouldn't need or want to re-read them. I hung onto the Fi back issues only because the complete set doesn't take up very much space.

Listener and Sound Practices, I keep them all. With Absolute Sound, Stereophile and few others I've gone through my stacks and done some major culling to reduce space - this became easier after my paradigm shift in audio where I found only certain types of equipment held my interest enough to want to keep old magazines focused on it.

I kept every stereo review magazine I ever got through my subscription that I started when I was 13. Few years worth of magazines. I do enjoy looking back through them. I haven't touched the few years of stereophile I hoarded though. They will likely see the trash in the future during a de-cluttering mission.

I keep a few Listener / Sound Practices / Glass Audio around. And some *ancient* Positive Feedback for the Gizmo articles, but I've long shed any other magazines (along with any urge to read them).

-D

To me its all related to the quality of writing. I read Stereophile simply to see what is out there. I think the writing itself outside of Art Dudley's column is lacking in humor, and takes itself far too seriously (even though I just subscribed, finally, as I had been buying them at bookstores). "Listener" understood that this wasn't a life or death pursuit. And the writing is timeless. Saying that the newest preamp is the best ever, is not timeless. It gets old. And the magazines saying it, are going to get tossed. But I do like keeping up with what is out there.

I really wish there was a magazine out there today that took the hobby a little less seriously. There's so much over-serious posturing in it already. What I hate about Stereophile's take on it, is that their jokey-less-than-serious guy is the "Entry Level" guy, as if they don't think it's worth their serious reviewers.

Ah, somehow I turned this into a rant about what bugs me about the current audio press. I'm fine with them reviewing expensive gear. I just wish they'd do it with a sense of context, humor, and humility.

I like Hi Fi News though.

I used to save many that I thought had something of value, but more or less never went back for reference so I've tossed most of them. Just two paper grocery bags of that stuff left to get rid of. :banana:

I used to keep them, don't any more. Honestly, while I still subscribe to Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, they don't hold my interest like they used to.

I really need to get rid of most of them. Right now I have years and years of Stereophile, Audio, Stereo Review, and the whole run of Listener.

I think the Listener stays, but most of the rest gotta go!

I tend to drift in and out of various hobbies and like to look back on the old magz when I drift back in and have already read through the current stuff.

I also enjoy reflecting on the older technology (i.e. looking at a "home audio/video" room from 1990 with a 25" tube screen and ProLogic surround fed by 2 8-foot tall stacks of ADA equipment with a single, custom-made gold faceplate).

5L15He5Ja3Ka3Mf3Idc368623da29f98b15b0.jpg

I keep Stereophile issues around for about 2 years, then toss them except for the Recommended Components issues, which I keep as a reference for older gear.

I saved my old Audio Magazines. I think I have from 1986 until they folded. That was a great magazine, well written, with great articles and reviews and lots of useful info on older equipment. When I pick up a new vintage piece, it's nice if I can find an old review. I also have the year end Audio Equipment Directory, with all the specs of most everything made that year.

I keep all my Stereophile and Absolute Sound issues from the last four years in a big ass box. My girlfriend doesn't understand why someone would keep old magazines, but audio equipment is something I like to read and re-read about. Additionally (and more importantly), where I'm at in the audio hobby is constantly evolving, so something that held little interest for me two years ago I might now find much more interesting.

Regarding John's complaint about Stereophile taking itself too seriously outside of Dudley's articles (and Mejias's), I actually feel that's even more of a problem with The Absolute Sound, to the point that their reviews and articles are sometimes too dry and could really (IMO) use some more color in them. And I say this as someone who generally prefers TAS to Stereophile, and still subscribes to both.

I keep all my Stereophile and Absolute Sound issues from the last four years in a big ass box. My girlfriend doesn't understand why someone would keep old magazines, but audio equipment is something I like to read and re-read about. Additionally (and more importantly), where I'm at in the audio hobby is constantly evolving, so something that held little interest for me two years ago I might now find much more interesting.

Regarding John's complaint about Stereophile taking itself too seriously outside of Dudley's articles (and Mejias's), I actually feel that's even more of a problem with The Absolute Sound, to the point that their reviews and articles are sometimes too dry and could really (IMO) use some more color in them. And I say this as someone who generally prefers TAS to Stereophile, and still subscribes to both.

I was thinking about this last night while reading a back issue of Stereophile. Yeah, they do try to be less uptight sometimes so I'm not sure what I'm reacting to. His writing just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I just don't have or make the time to read them. I just let my subscription to Stereophile lapse as I've got a bunch of unread one's piled around and see no need yo make it bigger.

Anybody want them???

You mean Mejias, right?

Yeah, that's what I get for editing a message at 6am after going to bed at 2am. "Hey its entry level, lets be all jokey", except I don't think he's funny, I just find his writing style to be annoying and I don't want to live vicariously through some audio nerd in NYC trying to get with girls he'll never get with.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I thought it was just me... Mejias strikes me as kind of a lame choice. I think I know what they are looking for, and it is a slot that needs to be filled, that whole entry level guy thing but, when he went to Vegas and did nothing but whine on and on about what a terrible place it was, how tough everything was, and does the High-end really need to be there. Give me a break, it's your job, cover it! Or go find a real job, Please!

Oh, and I keep all my audio mags until they are completely irrelevant. So, I have several boxes that probably need to be recycled. Save the Listener's forever!!!

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom