What speaker cables for SET?

I posted my thoughts on this in this thread.

This is based on direct experience with a 45, 2A3 and 300B SET amp based system and yes, I found a lot better than 'lamp cord'.

speaker wire

My Speaker wire of choice right now is this CAT5 braid for my 300B set amps.

speakerwire_zps3098618f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Depending upon your budget David, the Aurealis cables are very nice. Solid core 20AWG Neotech PCOCC :)

Pete I need a good deal longer than 2m...and that's all that the Bay shows....and the price isn't too cheap either.

Do you know if that above Jaycar stuff is ok?

I've followed Billfort's advice and just recently swapped in a single twisted pair of CAT5 in place of some really thick, expensive audio art cables and I have to say that I REALLY like what I'm hearing. :yes:

So I've just bought 2 rolls of 1mm. There was 22-23AWG label for 0.68mm rolls so I thought 1mm should be better. I need something like 7-8m long wires anyway. The shopkeeper asked me what I wanted these wires for and I told him they're for speaker cables. He gave me a weird look and said these wires aren't insulated or something...

I'll report back when I experiment with them tonight.

Pete I need a good deal longer than 2m...and that's all that the Bay shows....and the price isn't too cheap either.

Do you know if that above Jaycar stuff is ok?

Geoff manfactures to order. He provides prices in the listing for different lengths. Top-notch cables for the dollars. I'm certainly grabbing some when I finally move into our new house and can set up my system in its final resting place.

Magnet wire is ok, but you'll need to scrape the enamel from each end to expose bare copper.

Part of the trick with magnet wire is 'dressing' it, as you'll have a pair of ungainly wires if you leave them bare.

It's worth noting that Anti-Cables are magnet wire too. :)

Forgot to mention... Anothe cheap solid-core option with insulation is mains lighting cable from Bunnings or similar. 2x 1mm solid core insulated strands inside a white jacket for about $1.20/m

Magnet wire is ok, but you'll need to scrape the enamel from each end to expose bare copper.

i knew this was gonna be a challenge but it actually was kinda annoying. i was a little worried since the wires i bought didn't have colour enamel on them, which makes it difficult to tell if the enamel is off. as u might know, tube amps must be connected to speakers when turned on. i was a little worried but some beer made me brave and it worked.

Part of the trick with magnet wire is 'dressing' it, as you'll have a pair of ungainly wires if you leave them bare.

more details pls?

It's worth noting that Anti-Cables are magnet wire too. :)

i actually suspected that perhaps anti-cables are just some magnet wire with red coating...

now i've replaced my old cables with the wires. the overall resolution improved and the high is more protruded, which was a bit of disappointment with the extra damping i did yesterday. so all is well. but i sorta expected some obvious improvement anyway because the previous cables were, while not mere lamp cords, extension of 2 different cables because i didn't have cables long enough to accommodate my present setup.

if anything, it looks tidier now. im kinda surprised that mere wires without insulation can be speaker cables fine. perhaps better than the usual speaker cables, even.

Audioquest Type 4, always a great all-rounder. The shorter the better.

I use it and everyone that took my advice on buying it were satisfied with the upgrade from CAT cables and zip cord.

Back
Top Bottom