Looking for a NAS music player

Hofy

Voids Warranties
I have most of my music collection ripped to flac on a NAS.
I am looking for a player I can hook to my stereo. The old Logitech Squeezebox was ideal but they are discontinued and prices are sky high. I know some have used Raspberry PI and POGO to build devices but I do NOT want to have to fiddle with a bunch of code to try t o get something just to work and spend all my time tweeking it rather than listening to music.

Basically I want something that has analog and or digital out. Wired Ethernet connection. Display so I can see what is being played and for making selections. Cost under $200 ideally $100.

Thanks

Just use an older laptop with nice usb soundcard with either optical or digital outs on in and run it into a dac.

Won't need a lot of speed for what your doing.

I dont know if a laptop would work for me. It really would not fit in to my stereo and then there is all the fiddling with software. I am after something more plug and play.

The POGO works perfectly and once it is set up you don't have to fiddle with it. I have abandoned trying to get the RPi to work. You don't need to know any code. Just cut and paste. Very cheap solution.

I looked at the POGO, but do not see a display. How do see track listings and how do you control it?

I looked at the POGO, but do not see a display. How do see track listings and how do you control it?
I use a tablet and a smartphone. I also have a SB duet remote. You can also use a computer.

I imagine the NAS will be running Logitech Media Server?

I've got a desktop running bare bones windows 7 and JRiver with the app on my iPhone and iPad to control it. True, it's a larger box unless you can find an USFF PC. Also using a basic Fiio DAC right now.

I may have to give POGO a try, if I can find the right model. Lots of P21 units on the bay. Only one E02.

Many of the devices out now require a TV for the display (Chromecast, Roku, etc..) and/or use a smartphone or tablet for the display (Airport Express, Sonos, etc).

An un-jailbroken AppleTV can't read files directly from a server, so if you went that route, you would end up using an iOS device and airplay with it. If you can find an jailbroken Appletv2, you could have the best of both worlds. XBMC for your NAS files (using TV or computer display directly) and Airplay for when the display was off. Not sure what they are selling for these days, though.

The Roku has some server apps that I haven't tried. However, some NAS units are able to install Plex and there is a Plex app on the Roku, so that might be the best option if you don't want to buy a tablet. You would just need to buy some type of compatible display or use your TV.

Looking for a NAS

I am using a refurbished WD TV Live ordered from Amazon which will do what you describe nicely for less than $!00. Will playback any digital music,video, etc files stored on your drive into a stereo and display the details on a TV.

I may have to give POGO a try, if I can find the right model. Lots of P21 units on the bay. Only one E02.
You can use a POGO-V4-A3-01. It is small like a Raspberry Pi. $14 on that auction site. Make sure you buy the one with 3 usb ports. You will need a USB thumb drive and of course a DAC.

I have a Duet and a Classic (which no longer works) and the POGO works better than both of them.

I really want to avoid anything that requires a TV to be hooked up as there is none in my listening room. My Android smart phone will have to do.

ldatlof, thanks for the addition info on the POGO models.

I really want to avoid anything that requires a TV to be hooked up as there is none in my listening room. My Android smart phone will have to do.

ldatlof, thanks for the addition info on the POGO models.
if you have an Android device, I am not sure how well Airplay works them. There are several Android Airplay Apps, but I have never used them.

You may want to take a look at the chromecast thread. It would probably work.

Doesn't support FLAC. Crazy, I know. :dunno:

This $50 unit gets good reviews. Analog out only, no digital, so hope its DAC is OK.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/connected-home-reviews/dlink-wi-fi-audio-extender-review/#!bEgS7X

Then install BubbleUPnP ($5 or so) on your phone, it will connect files on youNAS to this wireless receiver. A tablet would be nicer than a phone for the controller.
I didn't realize that it didn't support FLAC. Very unusual.

I would take a look at the Android Airplay apps. With several of them available there is probably info about them on Android forums.

More expensive than some of the other options, but I'm a big fan of the Sonos Connect. Easy to use, with a very nice interface available on any network-connected device (pc, iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet). Analog and digital outputs.

RuneAudio running on a raspberry pi, usb behringer dac to a vintage system and it sounds great! Not a noob but also not a network admin it took me about 2 hours and I was jamming. I use mpDroid on my android phone out tablet or web UI from a computer. The pi runs headless, sounds great and runs super low power. Set me back about $75.

Sent with my thumbs via tapatalk.

+1 on the Sonos Connect. Yes, it will cost more than what you are looking to spend, but it is worth it. It has a very well designed interface. It will search for music on your NAS, and just about anything else you have connected to your network. It plays tons of different file formats. It does NOT require a TV, has controller software for iPhone and android, as well as any laptop.
I've owned mine for several years now - worth every penny I paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom