Looking for a NAS music player

Laptop - JRiver(50$) - Gizmo app on Android/Apple

Now you have everything available from your smathphone which is now use as a nice remote. You have different view available from JRiver (Cover-theater-mini) that you can even display through your tv via an HDMI cable. That's the way I run music and I like it

Last edited:
Under $200.00 bones? Gotcha covered: Emotiva XDA-1 used (around $100.00), Used Galaxy S4, J. River Gizmo loaded on phone. The USB out connects to XDA and sends digital out to XDA to decode, while J. River plays ALL music formats. Buy the phone at a pawn shop or craigslist, and you don't have to activate it - just run it off your home's Wi-Fi. Works awesome, can be dedicated controller, plenty of mounting options, and looks cool with your gear.

Jimmy

Under $200.00 bones? Gotcha covered: Emotiva XDA-1 used (around $100.00), Used Galaxy S4, J. River Gizmo loaded on phone. The USB out connects to XDA and sends digital out to XDA to decode, while J. River plays ALL music formats. Buy the phone at a pawn shop or craigslist, and you don't have to activate it - just run it off your home's Wi-Fi. Works awesome, can be dedicated controller, plenty of mounting options, and looks cool with your gear.

Jimmy

Nifty stuff there, Jimmy! :thmbsp:

Thank you senor BadAss! It seems Android has finally released the digital out over USB of some Android versions. The Emotiva didn't ask for drivers or anything....it just worked! Personally I don't use it like this, but for some it should prove satisfying. Maybe a small desktop-sized DAC, a cradle/charger/USB for the Galaxy, and bam! Nice little addition to your system. plays FLAC files too!

Jimmy

Thank you senor BadAss! It seems Android has finally released the digital out over USB of some Android versions. The Emotiva didn't ask for drivers or anything....it just worked! Personally I don't use it like this, but for some it should prove satisfying. Maybe a small desktop-sized DAC, a cradle/charger/USB for the Galaxy, and bam! Nice little addition to your system. plays FLAC files too!

Jimmy

I think the USB OTG issue was mostly resolved in 4.4.4, but don't quote me on that lol. If one wanted a new cheap phone to use for that purpose, the Moto E is a steal and quite capable at $130 :yes:

Jimmy
Doesn't that need J River to be running on a computer or can you run J River on a NAS?

There are ways to use a used iPod Touch (pre lightning connector*) with a Pure I20 dock that has its own DAC or has digital outputs for a separate DAC. Without a computer, you would need to use an audio app (like DS Audio for Synology) or media server that runs on the NAS (Synology has Plex).

Yep, you're right. J. River would need to be running on a PC somewhere in the home. I don't know if it will work from an NAS. With this arrangement you'd need the music on the device, or on a PC somewhere on the network. Guess it's not what the OP specifically wanted.

Oh well, just a thought thrown out there.

What about XBMC? That runs off a smartphone, and can play back files from an NAS. Any experience with that Tiger? Might work?

Jimmy

What about XBMC? That runs off a smartphone, and can play back files from an NAS. Any experience with that Tiger? Might work?

Jimmy

That will work. You'd have to point XBMC to a SMB share on the NAS. If you want, you can even run a HDMI cable from the phone to the TV. That way, you can watch movies, too.

Yeah, that would work. VLC is another option (on iOS, MediaConnect is the best app for this type of listening that I have tried). I mainly use DS Audio since it has some unique Airplay features, but there are a lot of ways to connect to a drive with Android of iOS. Personally, I don't mind having a computer in the mix, though.

Last edited:
I use a dedicated ASUS EeePc (netbook) with Windows 7 and J.River near my DAC (connected with USB). Then I use an iPad running JRemote to assess J.River remotely. Even though this is a fairly powerful netbook, it still cost less than $300. The EeePc is also near silent running.

Back
Top Bottom