The Spendor Thread..

Your link is 404'd, alas.

I'd say any WORKING pair of Spendors is worth a lot more than that. The parts value, assuming at least some drivers work, is probably close to $140, and probably more.

It's gamble. Wish we could see the ad.

With decent cosmetics, and in working condition, these regularly go for $1000-$1200, US. The UK, in particular, still loves them - and it's worth joining pinkfishmedia.com just for their vintage forum, if you're interested in speakers like this. (Also, check eBay completed sales for up to date comps).

If you can't try these, it's a gamble. For $150 US (assuming that's the right conversion factor), I'd be sorely, sorely tempted. I just sold my Spendor Sp1s (which don't command as high a price, even though the bass is improved over the BC1) and I already sort of miss them.

Let us know if you get'em. Even though the newer versions of the design are measurably and listenabley more "accurate", BC1s still command a substantial cult following.

Good luck.

With decent cosmetics, and in working condition, these regularly go for $1000-$1200, US. The UK, in particular, still loves them - and it's worth joining pinkfishmedia.com just for their vintage forum, if you're interested in speakers like this. (Also, check eBay completed sales for up to date comps).

If you can't try these, it's a gamble. For $150 US (assuming that's the right conversion factor), I'd be sorely, sorely tempted. I just sold my Spendor Sp1s (which don't command as high a price, even though the bass is improved over the BC1) and I already sort of miss them.

Let us know if you get'em. Even though the newer versions of the design are measurably and listenabley more "accurate", BC1s still command a substantial cult following.

Good luck.

Thanks for this! Much appreciated... Ye, wish I could test them first, or even know whether they're working or not. I must say, I am still very tempted.

If they are not working 100%, can they be restored? I'm sure the cabs will be useful, and the speaker stands. Justifications.........

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger, but need to decide soon :confused::scratch2:

Check eBay prices for the parts. It's unlikely EVERYTHING is broken, so your "salvage" value is whatever the parts go for. I know the tweeter/supertweeter combo is used in a bunch of Brit speakers from that era, by IMF, B&W (the DM4), the Spendor BC1 and SP1, the LS3/6, (and probably its Harbeth derivative, presumably the original HL5), and they go for decent bucks on the bay. And then check the price for the woofers.

The cabinet is used in ALL the LS3/6 - based designs, including those produced today: Harbeth HL5 - Super, Spendor Sp1/2r2, Stirling Broadcast LS3/6.

As I say, for $150, I think it's probably a good deal. Not sure where you're located (South Africa?) so that also affects resale value, but the parts overseas w/o breaking the bank, if it comes to that.

Googling will bring up a bunch of reviews. As I say, they're dated-sounding, by modern standards, but still get tons of love.

Listening notes for Spendor SP2/3R2, A6, A6R

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on Spendors - SP2/3R2, A6, and A6R. Your listening notes will be invaluable to me as I am at a decision point to get one these models for my room of size 18 feet x 12 feet.
Thanks a lot..

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on Spendors - SP2/3R2, A6, and A6R. Your listening notes will be invaluable to me as I am at a decision point to get one these models for my room of size 18 feet x 12 feet.
Thanks a lot..

There is a thread here at AK regarding the A6R and I also think there is one relative to the A6. I haven't compared any of these speakers directly.

Cross-posted from the Spendor audio group on yahoo:

I’ve just received some very interesting news from Spendor Audio Systems. The news is especially interesting if you are also a customer of PMC, Proac, Kudos, Harbeth, Stirling, Kef etc.

Just recently Spendor’s cabinet manufacturer in Denmark was declared bankrupt and has now ceased trading. Which was a shame for Spendor, because they supplied high quality cabinets with minimal faults.

Spendor looked around for an alternative supplier but could find anything of suitable quality, never mind price. So Spendor decided to manufacture it’s own cabinets. Rather than building their own manufacturing capability they bought Timberworx in Sheffield from their American owners.

Currently Timberworx manufactures cabinets for a whole host of speaker manufacturers (i.e. PMC, Proac, Kudos, Harbeth, Stirling, Kef etc.) - Spendor is happy for Timberworx to continue doing this.

Spendor’s key tasks now are to increase manufacturing capacity at Timberworx (to take on Spendor’s own workload) and improving quality control to reduce rejection rates down to their own stringent requirements. Which should in fact benefit all Timberworx customers too.

Timberworx’s URL http://www.timberworx.co.uk now takes you to the Spendor Audio System’s site.

I saw that over at Pink Fish. Whatever works...at least they kept manufacturing in the west.

There's a very positive review by Sam Tellig in the September 2014 issue of Stereophile.
I think the company is on a roll.

The thing I noticed right off is, just like my A9s, Sam deliberately mentioned that he didn't move them once he set them up.
My comments from post #6 in this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=443182

The speakers sat in their factory boxes for a few days while I recovered and then I set them up in the living room, replacing the BC-1s. I spent zero time in positioning, putting them 8 inches from the back wall and slightly toed in

Last edited:
New to AK and Splendor

First post here on Audiokarma. I have been lured to this site during my quest/project to put together a budget vintage audio stereo system. I grew up a child of the 80s and 90s, but had some exposure to some nice HIFI equipment through a friend’s father who was in the music business. He used to get us passes to the NAMM Show, and always had some really cool old equipment in his home studio. I remember being impressed by the warm sound of his McIntosh tube amp, and the great sounds coming out of various vintage speakers he would have set up. Anyway, I stumbled into this by way of wanting to play an old cassette tape I have and after realizing I had no way of playing it, I ended up on Craigslist looking for a tape deck (and consequently an amp/receiver, speakers, CD player…).

A few weeks into this I have acquired some really decent equipment on the ultra-cheap including a Nakamichi 480 cassette deck ($10 on CL), a Kenwood KR-4070 Receiver ($30 Shopgoodwill), Splendor BC-1 Speakers ($10 CL), and a Denon DCM 340 CD player ($20 CL). The Splendors are the find of the lot and were the equivalent of a barn find. An older gentleman in Palm Springs, CA was selling various audio equipment and I saw the speakers mentioned in his ad. They were outside in his covered patio and were obviously neglected with scratches on the cabinets apparent from being moved around and poorly stored. Nevertheless, I knew enough at this point that I would be stupid to pass them up and gladly forked over ten whole dollars for them.

After reading up on the speakers, I’d like to restore them the best I can. I have not even had a chance to test them yet. The speakers are all there and appear to be undamaged, but what do I know? Answer- hardly anything. The cabinets may be beyond a simple fix with Howards Restore A Finish. I have some preliminary photos I took and can post more info later but just wanted to get going here on the forum. Thank you very much in advance for helping a new guy out.

Any of these beauties are a find. Welcome.
If all the drivers work, your golden.
They won't be the loudest, but they'll likely be the clearest speakers you've listened to.
Consider using a powered sub with them. They don't pretend to do low low bass, therefore, rather than doing it poorly, they don't do it at all.
Think midrange clarity.
Leave the foam in the port.

Last edited:
Wow!!! $10 Bucks... that's outrageous for the quality it looks like you have there!!! Do a refinish on them, maybe new cloth and throw in some caps (Falcon Acoustics is the place) and you'll be impressed!!! :thmbsp:

Wow!!! $10 Bucks... that's outrageous for the quality it looks like you have there!!! Do a refinish on them, maybe new cloth and throw in some caps (Falcon Acoustics is the place) and you'll be impressed!!! :thmbsp:

Yes. If you want to drool/gloat harder, check eBays completed sales. You scored by 2 orders of magnitude, roughly.:banana:

Ok... Wow!

I finally got a chance to test out my BC-1s to hear what they sound like. These speakers appear to be very neglected, but when I popped the speaker cover cloth off, the speakers appeared intact and unabused. When I hooked up my newly acquired Kenwood KR-4070 to them, I couldn't believe my ears. I can't imagine them sounding any better. They sound fantastic. I really scored some amazing speakers.

Now- how should I make them LOOK better? The wood paneling is chipped in parts with much damage on the paneling on almost every side. I sony think it can just be sanded, or restored with restore-a-finish. Can I strip the paneling and replace it with new paneling? I wiped them down and tried to wipe the cloth. I have no idea what got on the grill covers. They are pretty far gone and probably just need to be recovered. These babies sound so great, I think the effort to restore their looks would be time/money well spent.

A lot of people seem to prefer the BC1 to its successor, for whatever reason; it's a sweet, sweet sounding speaker - maybe not as accurate as the SP1, but pleasanter. In mint condition, cosmetically, these regularly go for $1000+ on British eBay, so it's worth making them look nice. Congratulations on a nice find.

Congrats! Now I guess you know why so many people love their sound. I just hooked my Rogers up to my Adcom set-up and that has taken them up another level.

As far as these go I Howard's is a short term fix but at some point you would either need to veneer them or fill in the chips and re-stain them. It really depends on what you can live with to some extent. The grills appear to covered with paint so a regular cleaner is not going to work. Try Goo Gone (test an area on the backside first to make sure the color does not run) on it to get the paint off and then a regular cloth/carpet cleaner after that.

Enjoy them!!

You can find veneer of a similar look at your local woodworker's shop, such as a Rockler's.
The second photo in this link shows veneer after being patched in, cut to shape, glued, gaps filled with red mahogany putty (you'd use whatever finish your BC1s are . . . mine were walnut, yours look like red mahogany stained rosewood), sanded and stained. If you look closely, you can see where the patch is. That being said, your veneer break is at the back of the cabinet will fade from the eye if you patch it, lightly hand sand the speakers, being careful of the edges where it's thin, stain and finish. The bruise at the front of one speaker can be diminished. I recommend not obsessing over it . . . call it patina rather than trying to eliminate it.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6282898&postcount=12

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom