Yamaha Holly Grail receiver

I was surprised is was not sold six hours after it was posted.
apuvavyr.jpg

Nice find.

Welcome to the club.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't powered mine on in probably over a year now.

P.S. That receiver needs some JBL speakers.

The definitive "Monster Receiver" statement! Not only did Yamaha make it magnanimous, they also covered every square inch of the face with enough knobs, dials, gauges and switches to satisfy a nuclear power plant operator!

You are sure to amaze and impress any who walk into your audio domain...

What a lovely piece of equipment. Nice pickup, I would love to hear some of those big Yamaha amp sections someday.

BTW, "Holly Grail" sounds like a Bond girl. ;)

Looks nice! How does it sound with the NS speakers? I think I might look for some.

As far as I am concerned it sounds great. It took about a month to 'dial' them in and get the proper balance. The really strange part is that it has been well over a year now and the NS-690s seem to like the exercise as the bass is stronger now than at the start.

Who does that??

Can happen. The elderly gent from whom I bought my Wharfedale W70s is from Canada who went to the States to work. He bought them and a tube system there and soon after had to go back to Canada. He lived with mom for a year or so and then emigrated to the US leaving the system here. Some time later he married, lived in a small apartment and never repatriated the system. It lay in storage and dormant all those years. His mother finally had to be moved so he came back to clean out the house. She lived north of Toronto so when he advertised and I contacted him he dropped them off. Except for sun fade they looked new. They had been sitting on their side from the fade so turned them right side up and let the sit so not voice coil settling. He had sold the electronics, a pair of Sherwood S1000 mono amps and a S3000 tuner with the outboard multlex and rare stereo indicator as well as a Thorens TD124.

He gave me the buyer's name and we went back and forth, he wanted the speakers and I the components and never reached a deal. The components were all on their original boxes as if never pulled out. He had a set of QUAD ESLs so I'll bet he had a killer system.

Wow... just wow. So the constant monitoring of Craigslist can sometimes pay off big time! Wish there was some automated program one could have going to ping every 30 mins and text alert you to a find.

Also, it pays to live in an area where weather and temperature is conducive to long term storage of electronics. LA sprawl... must be tons of highly desirable gear strewn across the urban landscape just waiting for someone to uncover it and unload onto Craigslist or eBay.

Spectacular find...One of the best I've seen...regardless of price. Congratulations!!!:thmbsp:

I was envious until I realized they were too cheap to have 4 meters.

Actually Yamaha did something pretty cool with the meters in this series as well as the X40 series. One of the meters doubles as both FM signal strength/power meter. When the tuner dial knob is touched the meter automatically switches from Power meter to signal strength.

Wow... just wow. So the constant monitoring of Craigslist can sometimes pay off big time! Wish there was some automated program one could have going to ping every 30 mins and text alert you to a find.

There was when I was actively collecting, I even paid for one that checked every 5 minutes and sent me text/e-mails on my search results when they popped up. However, CL shut them all down and I haven't looked into it again in years now. No doubt there's something good, just maybe not free because it always took a lot of work to stay ahead of the CL Gestapo.

Congratulations on your purchase!
I think the Yamaha CR styling is second to none for that generation of monster receivers.
The CR 3020 will drive anything!
Welcome to the club.
Here's my workhorse:
IMG_2059-X2.jpg

DSC08122-X2.jpg

Mike

Back
Top Bottom