AU-919 blowing main fuse instantly

Alright guys, I fixed the broken ribbon cables, and did a full recheck of the unit to make sure nothing was shorted, the unit is hooked up to the DBT with a 100W bulb ready to rock.

The only confirmation I'd like is, like someone suggested, can I make the test with the output transistors disconnected? (Pair or red and blue wires)

Anxiously awaiting your response to flip the switch, my face will be right up there in the unit for any abnormal signs and my hand ready to cut off everything on the DBT.

PS. Thanks Helios, good to see some lads from the area on here :)

Yes, you can fire up an amp with the outputs removed.

Just remember when you reinstall them to drain the main caps so no sparkies occur.

Keep at it, it will be worth it. Echowars did mine, and it was a jaw dropper for sure. I'm a tube guy, but these units with their original outputs are as close as I've found. The only other SS I mess with is Hafler, but the Sui is king around here.:music:

Thanks, well then, great news so far! The amp fires up, entered protection mode and then came up. This is looking really good :D

I guess I can now start the testing phase, I'll hook up the outputs back on once I finish testing the front controls.

Huge thanks to everyone again! :smlove:

Btw, is the 919 one of those amps that doesn't like to be switched on without speakers or a speaker load?

Alright, well my testing is done, everything is working fine, the amp is now fully recapped and it still has its original output transistors :)

Simply need to clean the pots again, change the trim pots with precision ones, readjust and realign and she should be ready to be buttoned up. I now understand why this amp is such a jewel, it already sounds amazing. :music:

Can't thank you guys enough, much love. :D

Sylph,
Good news, you are nearly there. I had similar problems with the black ribbon cable, resulting in loss of one channel signal from the back panel. They do not like to be flexed too much.

Good news, that must be a great relief, well done on rectifying the issue.

I was beginning to get concerned that I had hijacked your thread with the relatively inconsequential C07/C08 issue when you clearly had bigger concerns - anyway you are on the right track now. ;)

You weren't hijacking at all, in fact it cleared up a lot of concerns I had about those caps in particular. :)

Btw, is there a thread dedicated to the AU-919 discussing its issues and/or mods that can be done to it?

Agreed, thanks for the link Echo, I have already done this mod to my PS section, good to see people thinking alike ;)

I'll leave the amp be, I suppose any other mods would hinder it.

Yep, stumbled upon it not too long ago while I was doing some research on the LEDs of the unit, would you happen to know what types they are? I just noticed one of them in my unit is not original, I believe its a hacked up blue LED that was used to replace the power LED. :thumbsdn:

Well, apart from them being 3mm (?) flat top, wire ended red LED's - no.

The 'flat top' aspect is the difficult bit IIRC - filing a round top one flat can result in damaging the LED - so I think you have to have one designed to be a flat top type.

Back
Top Bottom