Output power of a Fisher X202

The X202 power amplifier section is basically the same as that used in the SA-100 power amplifier. Fisher rated that amplifier as a 50 watt amplifier (25/ch), based on IHFM specifications. These are the famous "Music Power" ratings as opposed to the more honest RMS ratings.

Using RMS ratings, the power amplifiers of the X202 are capable of about 20 watts RMS each, but power supply losses likely reduces this to no more than about 17 watts each with both channels driven.

Dave

push-pull 7591A or 7868, isn't it? Probably good for about 25 watts (continuous) per channel, depending on the operating points. Bandwidth and HD will be dependent on the output transformers, of course.

Mmhardy6647,
That's the easiest kind of error to make without one sitting in front of you. In fact I didn't comment until I'd gone back and looked at a thread about one.
An X-202-B is a fixed bias 7591 amp good for 30-35W.
The X-202, probably the same box as an original 7189 based X-1000, is the beast that's under discussion though. It even has the five jewel lights.

And it has one of the rarest Volume pots there is for FISHER. Dual Loudness tap (40 and 65%) 500K pots and the Loudness switch attached. PITA to work on. I've got Naptowns here with a bad Volume pot. (I can bypass it and get equal volume). And the only way I've been able to find to replace it is a Donor chassis. Even then no guarantee of a working pot. Even Mark OPPAT doesn't think he can do anything with it. I've torn it completely apart 3 times, scrubbed the carbon tracks with DeOxit and a paint brush, the metal contacts are all clean and are making good contact. But the sides are different by 50-75K across the board. Which makes getting equal sound levels an exercise in futility. (1/4 turn on the balance to equal the volume out).

It's pretty tho when it's on in a DARK ROOM.

When I got my X202B it was 37 wpc on the left and 38 on the right, I bought it restored from Hionfi, sounds great but out of rotation now..

Well their goes my idea of a move up from my current Fisher. I thought that a X202 would be an upgrade in power and in general from my Fisher KX200, so I was on the lookout for one. Guess I should be happy, but I do like those little jewel lights.

The X-202 was a 7189 based amp based on X-101-ST iron.
The X-202-B was a 7591 design with new iron.
The KX-200 was a simplified 7591 design that reused the 7591 iron designed for the X-202-B.

I think the KX200 has more power than the X-202 I would hold on to your KX-200
unless you want to collect one or two which is fun.

Tube

I only wish I could keep it down to two! My ebay watch list is always maxed out just waiting for a good deal on nice canidate.

I know how you feel, I'm always looking. When I got the X-101-C for $150.00
dollars off ebay it turned out to be one sweet deal that I sold the Scott 299A I
had and I just got the Fisher now.

Tube

I really like the looks of the X202-B, but considering the low output, I guess my next Fisher will probably be the X1000 and I expect I will have to pay a bit to get a nice one.

Imho, I'd take the X202B anyday, all one needs and very underated power wise..

I don't know about that... In my opinion if you have the speakers that can run with them, you would be walking away from a lot of majic the EL84 / 7189 tube has to offer.

The X-202 is a fine amplifier, the circuit is a little more complicated than need be and has about 50 yards of unneeded wire and cble running to that remote plug. But it does have huge iron for the 7189 tube, a decent preamp section and to me is much prettier to look at than the 'B. Then again I think I will always prefer the solid brass face plate, and judging a tube amp purely by rated output power is a misguided notion.

Again, thats just my opinion

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom