My New Toy

That's super-clean. Was it owned by a little old lady who only listened to Pat Boone on Sundays?

-D

Man that is sweet, congrats! What speakers are you using with it? How's it compare to your beloved 6060?

Congratulations. These are vastly underrated performers.
Have you powered it on? If not, I'd proceed with caution unless you're experienced with tubes. Plenty of stickes around about how to proceed.

Man that is sweet, congrats! What speakers are you using with it? How's it compare to your beloved 6060?

I have Klipsch Forte with Crites upgrades. I will hook up to 400 after Xmas (I work 7 days a week right now).

The Sony 6060 is insanely good sonically for SS so the 400 will have a serious run for top place. But, I am prepared. The 400 has factory stock Telefunken & Mullard tubes with little hours use. I have eight NOS Brimar 12AX7 known for top sonic performance. I also have a set of NOS Sylvania 7868. Tube swapping will tune this 400 sonically.

If the Sony wins at this point, I may upgrade this 400. It is kind of a tough decision as this 400 is a museum piece that will play music as Avery wanted it.

The 400 power supply has about 10 volts AC ripple as designed. A PS doubler with two new 680uF into a LC for high B+ & another LC for low B+ should provide a quieter 'black' background & more airy soundstage due to less IMD products present. (A thermistor on the 120 AC line will control the higher in-rush current). However, sometimes some low level AC can sound better.

Another area for mods would be the coupling caps. Both the finals & especially the tone stack could be upgraded. The tone stack uses a ceramic package that cries for an upgrade. The Ero 7868 power tube coupling caps are a good product. I believe only the 400 came with these superior coupling capacitors.

I will report back the performance & detail upgrades if performed. I never seen anyone address the PS with some filter chokes. It may be a relevation or may not.

Back
Top Bottom