Fisher 400 receiver as a phono preamp?

dmac

Hello,

I have a question that I hope someone can help with. I have recently purchased a 400 receiver and have to compromise with a surround sound setup in my listening room. The brand new Yamaha receiver that I have does not have a phono stage and I was wondering if I could use the fisher 400 to send a line level signal to the CD input on the Yamaha that had been through the phono stage of the 400. Can I do this and if so what output on the 400 should I use?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks,

From an application standpoint it is surely overkill, but theoretically will work. If you connect the "Recorder Out" jacks of the Fisher to the Aux/CD input of the Yamaha, then it will send the phono signal of the Fisher on to the Yamaha.

While the output impedance of the Fisher at the Recorder Output jack is certainly low enough for connection to another piece of vacuum tube equipment, it was hardly designed to drive SS equipment, so there may be some LF roll off as a result. Other than that however, it would work fine.

Dave

If you DO do that, just make sure that there are "DUMMY LOADS" on the spkr outputs. This is so you DON'T burn up the output transformers. Like Dave said, it's really overkill.

Another alternative is to get a phono preamp, and SAVE the FISHER.

As posted above, put some 8 ohm power resistors on the speaker outputs "just in case" - keep the volume to zero and all will be well (although you'll be burning lots o' watts of ConEd's finest AC power - not to mention heating a quad of 7868s - for nothing).

The big down side to this gambit? The phono section of the Fisher is mediocre at best. Far, far better sounding hardware out there - vintage and modern, tube and soiled state.
EDIT: and, yeah, I love the old Fisher receivers (and own a couple)... but I wouldn't bother with the phono sections in them.

Thanks

Thanks"
I tried hooking it to the rec out and the fisher gave too much hum. It does not do that when operating normally, so I will use the phono stage in my Denon from the 90's into the Yamaha until I can buy a separate phono stage. Hopefully a tube based unit. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom