Question for Fisher experts...Model 4400 Receiver

AudioBug

Hello All,
Long time reader with my first Fisher question. I have a Fisher Model 4400 that was made in 1966. It's a SS receiver in almost mint cosmetic condition. Unit sounds good and was recently serviced and cleaned. What can any of you tell me about this unit? Watts @ 8 ohms per channel? In auto stereo mode the unit sounds like it has very good separation and depth, however it also sounds like it has some sort of built in reverberation effect. No mention of this possible feature in the service manual.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
AudioBug

Perhaps some pics will spark the interest of the community~
I looked for a bit earlier, there's not much info on the 4400.

Yes, I think a picture might be possible. This is an FM only unit. Has unique knobs to it. While at the shop, one of the fellows lost one of the silver caps to the black knob and replaced it with a somewhat similar cap but not an exact match. I've had a tough time finding out anything about this unit. The tech at the shop was interested in possibly buying the unit. The other employee liked the sound as much as one their Macs that they had on display. Has a unique sound with as much punch as a Sansui G 7000 or a Marantz 2275. Not at all bad for 1966.

Well, talking with the tech confirmed what I believed. The Fisher 4400 operating in the Stereo FM auto mode, does indeed have a built in reverberation effect. The effect is not present in any other mode. The effect is adjustable from inside the unit. The effect is not overdone, and it adds significantly more depth to the FM stereo mode. I'm assuming that the 4 digit model number means that it's a reverberation unit.

Pretty cool. Ask my question and answer it too. Still don't know how many watts this thing is putting out.

Still working on a picture.

Thank you kindly sir. I like most anything from the late 1960s, especially the Sony 6060FW from 1968, Kenwoods from the early 70s, Sansuis, Marantz etc. But, the sound that comes out of this Fisher is something quite unique with plenty of power for the size. One of the techs who worked for an authorized Fisher service center in the past speculated that the unit may have been manufactured in New York and exported to the Japanese market. Anyhow, now my new fascination is Fisher receivers.

Recently found a Fisher 4400 receiver at a local thrift shop for a mere $5. Powered up and sounds great with a pair of KEF 101 studio monitors. The bass is incredible. Just needed two new panel lights and had a leaking capacitor that my tech replaced.
What a mystery this unit is. Not even mentioned in my Orion blue books and web information is sketchy. Power to spare and sounds better than any of the McIntosh receivers I have owned. Nice and compact too with a total depth of only 12". Was this designed for the overseas market as some have suggested? Any details will be welcomed.

Can you take a couple pictures of the Front showing the "label" in the Right upper corner, and any identification plates on the back plate. Looks like a 1st gen Solid State but the 4 number units I've heard of in the 4000 series have all been 4 Channel ("QUAD)" units. Also a picture of the complete back would help too.

The "reverb" is a byproduct of the time differential Multiplex system that FISHER used in their Solid State chassis' if adjusted incorrectly. There should not be a reverb with it correctly adjusted. Unfortunately you need a scope and a multiplex analyzer to adjust it correctly.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom