Again.. another damaged item

hatrack71

distracted by everything
Man.. I honestly don't think the majority of the population has a clue about how to pack anything. I am literally so bummed I don't have words. What is with people and their crappy pack jobs? I just received a real beauty. A pair of SEAs tweeters from a seller. He used a piece of painter's tape held off by pieces of cord over the domes in a box with wadded newspaper? and he taped over the SEAS labels which tore off when removing the tape. Yes, both SEAS tweeters are dented. I no longer want them. But I have to pay the shipping back to the seller and wait for him to refund me. I can no longer deal with this. The system is breaking down somewhere- this should not be happening at all. I hardly ever get a package that isn't damaged anymore. It irks me that someone gets on the forums to sell really nice gear but then are too lazy to pack it right and it gets damaged. All to save 5 cents and two minutes. Unknowing that this will cause days of headaches for buyers. Hardly anyone doubles boxes anymore. It's just wrong.

I guess the point of this thread is I am out of answers and out of tolerance for these kind of situations. I have no idea why I am getting so many damaged, underpacked items. Does anybody have any advice for making sure this happens less frequently. I always email the seller about packing. Always. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong? And buying on one particular forum doesn't seem to matter either. I've gotten bad packing everywhere. Even from self professed geniuses. Even though a piece of gear has been paid for, it is still technically mine until the buyer communicates he is satisfied. So I pack it as if it is my own and always caution the buyer about safe opening of the package.

Last edited:
That's a shame. Unfortunately many people are too lazy, ignorant and cheap to pack well.

Biggest problem is that main selling forum sticks it to the buyer mandating return shipping charges. If a seller crap packs or fails to provide an accurate descripton, I feel he should pay return shipping. As well as refunding original purchase and shipping. I just don't see where a buyer should be culpable at all for any charges in this situation. Lame.:thumbsdn:

Last edited:
Sorry this keeps happening to you.

I overpack, and then overpack some more. Packing anything properly takes a little mechanical engineering and understanding of the forces that that particular item will be subjected to. I would never tape over something that might be damaged when the tape is removed. When I do sell a piece of gear, I wrap it in a thick garbage bag first. That keeps moisture away and allows me to tape to the bag and not the item. I then examine the buttons, switches, knobs etc...and make foam blocks that go over them so that they can't get bent. The blocks have to be attached in a way that they stay secure.

You have to really think the packing process through as even your packing can end up working against you when the "shipping forces" are applied. This is where most shippers fail. It takes time, thought, proper technique and materials to ensure safe delivery. I have spent over an hour (many times) packing a single piece of gear. I have shipped over 400 items, and have yet to deal with a damage claim. Many people only see their profit and assume that a handful of peanuts or some balled up newspaper will be a cheap, EASY, and quick way to deliver the goods.

And they should not sell. Me thinks I need to be more brutal on feedback. I've been going way too easy on people.

Another reason why leaving feedback is SO important. I got in a scuffle with a certain few AKers here that told everyone they owe nothing to the seller after they got their items. WRONG...accurate feedback helps weed out sellers that don't pack properly or describe their items accurately and much more. Being too lazy to leave feedback hurts every future potential buyer... WHICH COULD BE YOU. It hurts the seller because he'll never learn and thus continue his ways as he'll see no reason to change his process. Positive feedback gives the seller incentive to continue to do the right thing.

I have sold hundreds of items on ebay ...all packed extremely well...yet only about 1 in 6 people leave ANY feedback, and only about 1 in 20 of those will mention the great packing. It doesn't take but 10 seconds to say...Item as described, fast shipping & packed well. That sums up what a majority of buyers would want to know.

Last edited:
Well, the seller actually just sent me a veiled threat and in addition told me his brother could pick them up at my house on the eBay messaging system. His brother apparrently is staying at a lake just a few miles to the east of me. Have to find out if know him. I can just run them out to him. This seller keeps spewing on and on about how he is in the military and such and how I am disrespecting him. I have not done anything but tell him his packing was not adequate and his communication is lacking since I had to send 4 emails before I got a single response in the span of a week. He keeps calling me a crybaby. Maybe I am but I really don't have a use for damaged goods or his bubbly personality.

Last edited:
Sorry this keeps happening to you.

I overpack, and then overpack some more. Packing anything properly takes a little mechanical engineering and understanding of the forces that that particular item will be subjected to. I would never tape over something that might be damaged when the tape is removed. When I do sell a piece of gear, I wrap it in a thick garbage bag first. That keeps moisture away and allows me to tape to the bag and not the item. I then examine the buttons, switches, knobs etc...and make foam blocks that go over them so that they can't get bent. The blocks have to be attached in a way that they stay secure.

You have to really think the packing process through as even your packing can end up working against you when the "shipping forces" are applied. This is where most shippers fail. It takes time, thought, proper technique and materials to ensure safe delivery. I have spent over an hour (many times) packing a single piece of gear. I have shipped over 400 items, and have yet to deal with a damage claim. Many people only see their profit and assume that a handful of peanuts or some balled up newspaper will be a cheap, EASY, and quick way to deliver the goods.

I love posts like this because it makes me feel safe about buying from you. I have inquired in the past about a feedback system for AK that is like a number behind your username or something. Searching through the Feedback section to find info on a seller is tedious at best. Memory is all we have really and that isn't enough because it doesn't always last.:smoke: I am thinking every AKer who conducts transactions here should be required to open a "my feedback" thread. Or that the mods automatically add it upon purchase of subscription. Hell, if I knew how to do it, I would volunteer my time to do whatever is needed if I could be of help to the board moderators.. Something generic and across the board, like "insert user name's" feedback. Keep it simple. Then buyers can find that thread and add their feedback so it's all in one place. Maybe make it a sticky in each user's thread stats list so it always appears on top of the list and contains feedback for all transactions. One feedback right after the other. No discussion. People do get mad and seem to argue on the feedback forum sometimes. I am guilty of it. There has to be a way to contain every transaction to one post and one post only. Maybe make arguing against AK rules on those threads so it stays in PMs. Enforce with temporary or permanant banning depending on the situation. To leave feedback, all one would have to do is search the user's account stats for the thread and post in it. Maybe that would work. Seems like a logical and light solution for those who want more info on sellers feedback like myself and don't want to undergo the hassle of finding every single feedback thread on that seller. Ouch, that's time consuming. It should be much easier to have a less risky transaction here.

Last edited:
Telephones are to honey what vinagar is to emails... I suggest a more personal approach to buying by actually speaking to the people. Dictate what is acceptable packing as part of the deal and follow that up in writting.

Answer is to buy from legit bricks and mortar stores. I long ago stopped buying anything that could likely be damaged and I not afford to just throw out.

One time, I had someone mispack an item after he agreed to follow my instructions. We went back and forth regarding the amount of the refund. He wanted me to absorb the shipping both ways. I just simply left negative feedback at the last minute and parted out the unit to my parts bins. I was not going to invest more money to get back some of my money.

Sorry that you're having to deal with this crap, hatrack71.

I have little to add to Bstable's excellent analysis on packing, except to say that, despite many buyers not leaving feedback, if a seller has a track record of packing things well that will be reflected in their feedback comments.

So, if you want to be sure that a seller knows how to pack, don't just look for an absence of negative comments, but rather seek out sellers whose customers actively praise their packaging.

if they are from here, NAME NAMES, please.
No one else wants to buy gear packed by dummies and battered in transit.

They are CHEAP IDIOTS with no real idea on how to do this.
Accident do happen occasionally, but all it takes is a bit of thought to make packed parts bomb-proof ...

Man.. I honestly don't think the majority of the population has a clue about how to pack anything. I am literally so bummed I don't have words. What is with people and their crappy pack jobs? I just received a real beauty. A pair of SEAs tweeters from a seller. He used a piece of painter's tape held off by pieces of cord over the domes in a box with wadded newspaper? and he taped over the SEAS labels which tore off when removing the tape. Yes, both SEAS tweeters are dented. I no longer want them. But I have to pay the shipping back to the seller and wait for him to refund me. I can no longer deal with this. The system is breaking down somewhere- this should not be happening at all. I hardly ever get a package that isn't damaged anymore. It irks me that someone gets on the forums to sell really nice gear but then are too lazy to pack it right and it gets damaged. All to save 5 cents and two minutes. Unknowing that this will cause days of headaches for buyers. Hardly anyone doubles boxes anymore. It's just wrong.

I guess the point of this thread is I am out of answers and out of tolerance for these kind of situations. I have no idea why I am getting so many damaged, underpacked items. Does anybody have any advice for making sure this happens less frequently. I always email the seller about packing. Always. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong? And buying on one particular forum doesn't seem to matter either. I've gotten bad packing everywhere. Even from self professed geniuses. Even though a piece of gear has been paid for, it is still technically mine until the buyer communicates he is satisfied. So I pack it as if it is my own and always caution the buyer about safe opening of the package.

Something that has always irked me is poor vinyl grading.

Near Mint:

The record should show no obvious signs of wear
Basically, an LP in near mint condition looks as if you just got it home from a new record store and removed the shrink wrap.

I get my Houses of the Holy in....scratches all over both sides...:thumbsdn:

I've yet to leave feedback but I'm on the verge of just leaving negative feedback. I almost never do, I can usually work it out through messages. Some people are more than happy to help out, as they should as sellers. Some....just call you a liar..

if they are from here, NAME NAMES, please.
No one else wants to buy gear packed by dummies and battered in transit.

They are CHEAP IDIOTS with no real idea on how to do this.
Accident do happen occasionally, but all it takes is a bit of thought to make packed parts bomb-proof ...

I always do name names if I have a problem here. AK is actually a pretty honest bunch. I hardly ever have issues and when I do it is usually ironed out quickly. I like the sellers here. My beef is elsewhere today.:D

Last edited:
I guess the point of this thread is I am out of answers and out of tolerance for these kind of situations. I have no idea why I am getting so many damaged, underpacked items. Does anybody have any advice for making sure this happens less frequently.

Give them specific instructions as to how the item is to be packed. Then get the seller on record by asking the person if they understand what you want.
If you don't get a direct yes or encounter some resistance, tell them you would be willing to give them a little extra to cover the packing materials.

I just recently bought a set of 9 X 15 inch dual cone oval speakers. I told the seller not to simply place them in a box with packing. That's because I knew they would end up damaged. I gave the person specific instructions to fasten both together "front to front," using either bolts or zip ties. He agreed and the speakers arrived undamaged. A set of tweets can be packed in a similar fashion. If the domes are too high and would touch each other, then a thick piece of styrofoam or cardboard with the centered hollowed out could be used as a spacer, so that they can be placed and fastened together.

I always email the seller about packing. Always. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong? And buying on one particular forum doesn't seem to matter either. I've gotten bad packing everywhere. Even from self professed geniuses. Even though a piece of gear has been paid for, it is still technically mine until the buyer communicates he is satisfied. So I pack it as if it is my own and always caution the buyer about safe opening of the package.

As I said earlier give the seller specific instructions, and ask if they can do as you wish. If the seller gives you flack then simply tell them to forget it.
It likely won't get packed properly and you'll just end up with another damaged item anyway.

... I gave the person specific instructions to fasten both together "front to front," using either bolts or zip ties. He agreed and the speakers arrived undamaged. A set of tweets can be packed in a similar fashion. ...

This! My favorite way to protect tweeters is to use several 1" metal standoffs and screw them together face to face.

I agree that good packaging is rare. The unfortunate thing is good packing takes time ( I can routinely take an hour packing) and money:double weight boxes ,foam or more time to find appropriate repurposed materials . I most always use new materials.

I have shipped heavy items coast to coast- buyers balk at additional material fees and the extra weight to do the job right. You can pay up front or later-the former is always better.

I fortunately have never had a damaged item arrive with a buyer.

It just adds insult to injury when a negligent seller starts calling you names because you point out one of their shipments arrived damaged.

I had a seller physically threaten me (via eBay messaging) for reporting to him that the turntable I bought arrived damaged. Seeing as he had my address, and was only about a hundred miles away, I reported in to the PD and eBay just in case. Of course, eBay was no help and he's still selling.

That's why when an individual is trying to sell an item which is relatively fragile, it's a good idea to discuss how its going to be packaged.
If an agreement with the seller can't even be reached concerning that, I'll move on and spare myself the potential headache.

If there's any bright spot here, it's that hatrack71's own packing is utterly superb — the best I've seen. Thank you for setting a brilliant example of how to do this right, and for trying to teach others the same techniques. So sorry you've been disappointed so severely by others! And I'm glad it's usually not the AK folks screwing up.

Back
Top Bottom