Dokorder 800X receiver

bigshawn

Noting that I am newbie to all of this - I just picked up a Dokorder 800X reciever that lights up, but is blowing one of the three fuses in it. I have no info on this unit, but when I turn it on a red light that say PROTECTOR lights up and the AM/FM scale lights up. That's it. I assume the protector light has something to do with the three fuses.

Is this receiver worth the money or trouble to get fixed? - or did I waste a few bucks on this? Any thoughts? I haven't been able to get any info on it and the only posting that I found relating to it said that he guy wishes he didn't sell his.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Dokorder was the US name for a while for Denon, who have a pretty good reputation, so your receiver's certainly not junk. Beyond that I don't know, except that blowing fuses and staying in protection are usually pretty fixable.

I hope someone reads this

Hi-

My Dad just called me to ask me about a Dokorder 800X receiver. He loves it, but has no clue on what the specs are orr anything for that matter.

Will someone please direct me to a website that will at least tell me some specs? I looked into getting a manual (which I may have to) but I didn't want to spend $20.00 for it. Just trying to help my Dad out with some research.

Thanks for any help and responses. Please email at walden1974@gmail.com if youhave anything. Thanks again.

Congrats...you have an exceptionally rare receiver.

I believe that our own 'vintagestereo' here owned one previously, and auctioned it off on ebay in October of 2004 for about $360. That one was bench tested by a tech at 45w/ch. For 1968, that was a quite an output.

I've attached a pic from that auction to confirm that I'm talking about the same model.

Orion does not go back before 1973 for any Dokorder receivers.

I'd make the investment to bring a classic like that back. YMMV.

attachment.php

Yes. Fix her up! Then get some Dokorder SS-312 Speaks and a Dokorder RTR and have one of the few complete Dokorder systems around:banana:

BTW, The Dokorder 800X is remarkably similar to a quad reciever that I do have, the Teledyne/Packard Bell R-30401 (40w/ch x4). I have the schematics and service manual if you can't find anything on the Dokorder - I suspect that they are very similar to one another in circuitry as well.

attachment.php

CUlater said:
Congrats...you have an exceptionally rare receiver.

I believe that our own 'vintagestereo' here owned one previously, and auctioned it off on ebay in October of 2004 for about $360. That one was bench tested by a tech at 45w/ch. For 1968, that was a quite an output.

I've attached a pic from that auction to confirm that I'm talking about the same model.

Orion does not go back before 1973 for any Dokorder receivers.

I'd make the investment to bring a classic like that back. YMMV.

attachment.php

Yep - That's my Dokorder!!! I really REGRET selling it but it wasn't the TOTL so that's why we parted. Believe it not, there is a 100 wpc Dokorder Reciever out there from the same time period known as the 850X. Technically, it should get the credit for being the first Monster Receiver, beating the Pioneer SX-1010 to market by a year or so.

The 800X is certainly well worth getting repaired. NOT ONE TO THROW AWAY.

-- Chris

The beast is at the shop right now. The tech says that his curiosity might speed the repair up. If not, it will be another 6 weeks or so. I hope it is nothing big wrong with it. It is just so cool looking. I'll follow up this post when I get it back or hear from the tech.

Walden1974 - besides liking it, what else does your dad have to say about?

that is quite a cool receiver-green lights, wood case, flip out controls.:tresbon: But the slider controls!:yuck:

Hey everyone- I know it's been a long time but I really have to apologize. I posted to this forum and a couple of others and never ever checked back to see the responses. I guess life got in the way.

Just today my Dad was discussing his Dokorder and how to sell it. So I am back in the search engine looking for any info on the Dokorder and found these old posts. Thank you for your responses and once again I apologize for not coming back to you guys. I Hope everyone is well!

BigShawn- Yes, it is cool to look at it. I know my dad would love to do just that with it. It's time to move on though and he's looking for a buyer. If anyone knows anyone who wants one, please let me know.

Hi Guys. I have an 800x also. A few weeks ago it blew a main power fuse and I havent tried to fix it yet. I'm presently not sure where to start.

Anyway......just saying that.

Hi Guys. I have an 800x also. A few weeks ago it blew a main power fuse and I havent tried to fix it yet. I'm presently not sure where to start.

Anyway......just saying that.

I ended up putting this into a tech (got sick of trouble shooting it myself). It ended up being a shorted capacitor that bridged the wiring to the 240V switched-output socket.

The issue was first diagnosed as a shorted transformer till the TX was removed and found to be ok.

See pic of the cap

Attachments

• IMG_20141126_144656.jpg
    IMG_20141126_144656.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 17
Dokorder= Good reputation. Most who sold them and had to service them would disagree with you on their tape machines. Support from DoKorder was horrible. Failures common and often. Common nickname was Don'tKorder, NoKorder, and Dokorder, parts on order. That said, I would not judge their receivers the same way. I would restore this receiver. Especially since it has potential. Likely once properly serviced should sound very good at minimum.

Back
Top Bottom