can anyone provide me with the dimensions of a fender twin reverb grill cloth frame

kirkendoll

Luke.kirk on instagram
Subscriber
A friend of mine picked this twin reverb up at the dump and gave it to me, it was in horrible shape, it looked like it had sat in a barn for years, all of the 6l6gc tubes were gone, the three 7025's and the 12ax7 tested almost completely dead but the 2 12at7's were good, the amp had been unbolted and had fell down into the cab, both speakers had holes in them that i fixed with coffee filters and elmers glue on both sides of the cone and hours of cleaning and half of a small can of deoxit it is back into decent shape. All I need now is to make a frame that the grill cloth is attached to, does anyone out there have one of these that they can get the dimensions off of, I at least need length, width, thickness, and if it is plywood or particle board.

Thanks Luke

picture.php

picture.php

Are those Velcro strips on the face of the amp ? Looks like someone modded it if indeed those are Velcro patches. I have restored a few old guitar amps (many manufacturers) and the grill cloth is always attached to the front. I always remove the speakers and the front board when doing so. Stretch the middle first (both horizontal and vertical), that way its easy to keep the lines in the fabric even as you staple the remaining area. If you want a removable grill then measure the reset, to determine the thickness of the boards to buy. Reset or recess area is the dimension between the side and bottom pieces and the speaker mounting board. Usually its around 1/4" to 3/8" . So use wood that will sit flush or just below the surface of the sides and top/bottom. If the recess area is 1/4" then use 1/4" x 1" wood. From the pictures it looks as if anything over an inch wide will cover part of the speaker radius. Measure the width and height between the sides and the top/bottom of the speaker front. You will use two (horizontal) pieces and three (vertical) pieces of wood. One vertical piece for each side and one for the middle.

But the easy solution is to attach the cloth to the main front board itself.

Here you go....
Dimensions: 24-1/2'' Width x 16-9/16'' Height x 1/2'' Thickness (Add 1/4" Trim Strip) That is for a black face

Do a google search there a several folks making replacement baffles with the period correct grill cloth.
You can start here!
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/a...ce-Twin-Reverb-Style-Baffle-2x12#.VGczLSiKsqY

Depending on the year you may want to put a drip edge on that baby!

Lucky you!!! That is a point to point american legend you are restoring!
Fender Twins are the king of clean if running right.

Big amps have fallen out of fashon recently in favor of light weight low watt amps that overdrive at low volume. But often run out of clean head room if the room gets rocking.
Thats why I like Twins & Super’s.... headroom! I can always add “Dirt or overdrive” just pick your favorite pedal(s) there are 100’s of them to pick from.
But what I can’t add to low wattage amps is big fat warm glassy clean tube tone or that wonderful thick gooey tube reverb old Fenders are famous for.
That takes power & tube driven reverb circuits & pans.
Twin reverbs aren’t the perfect amp for every gig but when a player wants or need classic clean tone that never runs out.
Fender Twin Reverbs will always get the job done!

Long live big watt Fenders! They are the big block Corvettes of the guitar amp world!
I hope you have fun with your new project & enjoy a legend when its done!

Congrats
PQ

Last edited:
Thanks bushmaster for the stretching tips and PQ for the demensions, i already have got the grill cloth, and I'll be picking up a piece of 1/2 plywood tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have this done by the end of the week :D.

Thanks Luke

Thanks bushmaster for the stretching tips and PQ for the demensions, i already have got the grill cloth, and I'll be picking up a piece of 1/2 plywood tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have this done by the end of the week :D.

Thanks Luke

You bet Luke If want to stay true to vintage spec’s use baltic birch ply:thmbsp:
PQ

well I'm finally finished with this :banana: I bought a 2 x 4 piece of 1/2 birch 9 ply plywood and some grill cloth from parts express, it is not anywhere near perfect but it will work, stretching the grill cloth tight is easy top to bottom but from side to side is a bitch cause it does not want to bend around the corner like the top and bottom does making it hard to get tight, all I need now is an fender emblem, prob get one off the bay.

Like an idiot I turned this on for the first time for just a quick see if it would even work without using my variac or dimbulb, well it did not take but 10 seconds and 4 of the 5 power caps lost there lives :sigh:, so a quick order to mouser got me back in business, and while I was installing them I found 15 bad solder joints (note to self do not be lazy and check this stuff before turning on for the first time).

definitely had a fun time getting this beauty back in working order, this would have been a costly restore for someone sending it to a tech, here is my parts list.

Fender Twin Reverb amp from the dump 10.00
grill cloth 20.00
birch plywood 17.00
quad of 1973 rca gray plate 6l6gc tubes nib, I have nothing in them but easily 100 bucks off the bay
3 used rca 7025 tubes and 1 12ax7 lets say 40 bucks easy
power supply caps 40.00
and easily 6 hours for cleaning, electrical work, and making a new grill
to hear that clean tone from this beauty PRICELESS!!!!!:guitar::rockon:

picture.php

well I'm finally finished with this :banana: I bought a 2 x 4 piece of 1/2 birch 9 ply plywood and some grill cloth from parts express, it is not anywhere near perfect but it will work, stretching the grill cloth tight is easy top to bottom but from side to side is a bitch cause it does not want to bend around the corner like the top and bottom does making it hard to get tight, all I need now is an fender emblem, prob get one off the bay.

Like an idiot I turned this on for the first time for just a quick see if it would even work without using my variac or dimbulb, well it did not take but 10 seconds and 4 of the 5 power caps lost there lives :sigh:, so a quick order to mouser got me back in business, and while I was installing them I found 15 bad solder joints (note to self do not be lazy and check this stuff before turning on for the first time).
definitely had a fun time getting this beauty back in working order, this would have been a costly restore for someone sending it to a tech, here is my parts list.

Fender Twin Reverb amp from the dump 10.00
grill cloth 20.00
birch plywood 17.00
quad of 1973 rca gray plate 6l6gc tubes nib, I have nothing in them but easily 100 bucks off the bay
3 used rca 7025 tubes and 1 12ax7 lets say 40 bucks easy
power supply caps 40.00
and easily 6 hours for cleaning, electrical work, and making a new grill
to hear that clean tone from this beauty PRICELESS!!!!!:guitar::rockon:

picture.php

Yea baby!Thats what I am talking about!:yes:

Clean, loud & proud and the perfect platform for any pedal that you want!
Congrats! New caps in old Fenders is never a bad idea anyway .In the long run the transformers will thank you!
That amp should be good to go for another 40 years!
This is one amp that rolling tubes pays off nicely :banana:

In my younger days I never lost a loudness war with my twin... Yep Marshall’s would crunch but the Twin would just cut thru the mix LOL!
:finger:
Drummer being obnoxiously loud? Turn up your twin & point it at him! He will get the message really fast & submit!:ntwrthy:

I cant tell what year your amp is but If you want to pretty her up with drip edge here is a link. ( disclaimer no affiliation)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Twin...078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce268d1fe
Welcome to “The Brotherhood of the Twin!
Enjoy!!!
PQ

That is a score, especially when you think of the cost of a silver face twin reverb these days. A very loud score, that is.

As for the production year the trannies, tubes, and speakers are date coded mid to late 72

As for the production year the trannies, tubes, and speakers are date coded mid to late 72

72 is great vintage Fender amp.

If you think about what a 100 watt hardwired point to point amp cost today that is a remarkable find & a vintage treasure saved from the landfill.:thmbsp:

Here is a link to an informative article about your amp & the history of the Fender Twin Reverb & changes to the design for better or worse.

Sounds like your amp may a candidate to be “ Black faced” .
But if it were mine I would just leave the master volume out of the circuit & enjoy it till it needed to be sent to a tech. Only then I would consider having it “black faced” . I leave working on vintage tube amps to a tech that has decades of experience. Some things I work on...others I leave to the experts.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articl...s-silverface-fender-twin-reverb-dud-or-dynamo

A great thread on the pros & cons of modding a 72 Twin..
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1021721

If you have the technical skills here is one persons way to “Black Face a 72 Twin.YMMV
http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/main/sf_bf_mod.html

Enjoy your Twin!
PQ

Last edited:
What a find, what a story. And a beautiful restoration. Ask your friend to return to the place he found the Twin Reverb, then wait & watch for a complementary '72 Strat to land @ the dump. :thmbsp:

I completed a Fender Twin Reverb Amplifier Speaker Grille Replacement project. Thinking the steps I took might help others, I documented the steps and other details taken to complete the project. I also completed a Speaker Cabinet Grille Replacement project with the leftover plywood and grille cloth. Once again I documented the steps and other details to complete the project. Before I started the first project I did a lot of searching on the Internet and wasn't able to find all the steps. The two webpages I prepared attempt to document all the steps.
http://paulc12.coffeecup.com/amplifierproject.htm
http://paulc12.coffeecup.com/speakercabinetproject.htm

finishedamplier01.jpg

finishedcabinet01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom