Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Still stunned I found them.

I found them at an arc thrift store. They had them priced $39.99 for the tuner and $99.99 for the amp. As I was loading them into my car a guy comes up and said he was coming to buy them and had looked at them the day before but wasn't sure he should buy them. First thought that came to mind was "time to buy it is when you see it or you'll be kicking yourself later"

YUP!!! if its worth going back for plan on it not being there :tears:

I found them at an arc thrift store. They had them priced $39.99 for the tuner and $99.99 for the amp. As I was loading them into my car a guy comes up and said he was coming to buy them and had looked at them the day before but wasn't sure he should buy them. First thought that came to mind was "time to buy it is when you see it or you'll be kicking yourself later"

Yea I learned this the hard way. Walked away from a pristine Adcom stack with a GTP-500, GFA-545 and GCD-575 along with quality interconnect cables and a pair of Acoustic Research d141. It was a Saturday at a flea market and he wanted 150 and I wasnt willing to pay that much. After a little research I went back the following friday morning to buy and they were gone. Told me he sold the whole kit for a 100. Ugh.

Always, always throw out an offer and don't be afraid to make it a little low. They can say no, and counteroffer, and then you start the neogtiation / haggling.

Eico

Found a nice eico hf 86 at a closing pawn shop in CT. Guy did not know much about it. Scored it for 65$ :)! Just needed a few caps, tubes and gave it a real thick power cord with ground.

569E794A-8907-4CC3-9B4F-E978E646A285_zpseeanijpy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
VW guy, don't thumb your nose at those Bose 601 II's just yet.

I did the same thing, bought some for 50 bucks, refoamed, and am listening to them right now.

Far better than most Bose offerings, especially the series II

GW today:

American Acoustics A124E in mint condition $10, and Sony 3 way 8" for $20. Good stuff for the garage sale. Both pairs actually sound decent. Always fun to bring something home.

Attachments

• IMAG0147_1.jpg
    IMAG0147_1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 96
VW guy, don't thumb your nose at those Bose 601 II's just yet.

I did the same thing, bought some for 50 bucks, refoamed, and am listening to them right now.

Far better than most Bose offerings, especially the series II

I will keep an open mind, I do believe they are probably better than most Bose offerings.

However I am a very picky tweeter fanatic! and what I am looking at here well..............

I am very happy with them knowing that they will fund many items and projects either way.

I had a pretty sad set of 601 IIs that was missing two woofers and needed foam on the other two. Ended up selling them for I think $140.

snagged a pair of Infiinity RS-8a's today at S.A. for 15 bucks after a bit of haggling i think they had just then been put out on the shelf as they were not priced yet.very good condition overall with nice cabinets and grills. just need the woofers and midrange drivers refoamed.looking forward to hearing them. they look to be well made.

Stopped in GW while my wife was at an appointment. Big batch of new record stock. I picked up some direct to disc and 1/2 speed masters, several good rock titles including three Sterling pressings and a new 30 pack of CD-R discs ($4.00).

BeBop Deluxe's Modern Music-- a truly great album! One of my desert-island-discs. Would live to score a copy of it, my old one is lost to time (or my parents' basement), tho' it's probably worn flat anyway.
And tell me that Wish You Were Here isn't a half-speed master...

Wow. A good day indeed.

"Stunned." I would be too. That's a little out of the "score" range, but they'd be hard to walk away from. Nice.

BeBop Deluxe's Modern Music-- a truly great album! One of my desert-island-discs. Would live to score a copy of it, my old one is lost to time (or my parents' basement), tho' it's probably worn flat anyway.
And tell me that Wish You Were Here isn't a half-speed master...

Wow. A good day indeed.

+1 on BeBop Deluxe's Modern Music-

passed on a pair of Acoustic Response speakers today - $400 for the pair.

When I tried to explain to the clerk that the speakers are overpriced at 4$, he said they base their pricing on Ebay. I asked him and the manager to google "white van" but they seemed to think I might have hit my head a few times when I was young. They were quite condescending as I obviously know nothing about electronics.

$_20.JPG

I stop in at GW to check their records maybe once a week, sometimes you see Xmas records for weeks at a time, then suddenly they get some new ones.

I picked up these 10, some have covers water damaged, but the vinyl is very good, in fact I bought 3 of the 4 Cat Stevens because these are better than what I have. The Eric Burdon and the Animals is from 1968, don't remember that one at all. Still has the plastic, and it's in shiny nice shape!

At .50 cents a pop, a $5 investment!

Attachments

• eric b.jpg
    eric b.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 89
  • stevie n.jpg
    stevie n.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 77
Pioneer SX-750 today. One of perhaps only 2 or 3 receivers I've picked up that, while testing in-store, picked up more than one local FM station without an antenna attached. Encouraging! Sounded good ... looks terrible with peeling / missing veneer. But faceplate is good. Knobs all there.

The best yet...

Found a nice eico hf 86 at a closing pawn shop in CT. Guy did not know much about it. Scored it for 65$ :)! Just needed a few caps, tubes and gave it a real thick power cord with ground.

569E794A-8907-4CC3-9B4F-E978E646A285_zpseeanijpy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've owned many power amps and the HF-86 I had for about fifteen years was the sweetest sounding of all. Don't ask it to do too much and it will sing like a bird. You've made a wonderful buy.

Back
Top Bottom