MI0001892370.jpg

61ogX0amnBL.jpg

The Best of... -- CD

The Spencer Davis Group

1987 EMI/America Records

Classic sixties R+B January 10, 2006
By Peter Durward Harris HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWER
Format:Audio CD

The Spencer Davis Group were one of several excellent British R+B bands of the sixties. Best remembered in Britain for Keep on running (one of the best songs of the sixties, regardless of genre), by the time they started to make an impression in America, they were on the verge of losing their key man, Steve Winwood.

They actually had two number one hits in Britain (Keep on running and Somebody help me) and several other big hits, including Strong love (not included here), Every little bit hurts (a cover of the Brenda Holloway song), Gimmie some lovin' (a remixed version of which was a hit in America) and I'm a man (also a hit in America).

In 1967, Steve Winwood quit to form a new band, Traffic. The other band members struggled on for a while, but those recordings are not included here (and are not as good).

This is a nice introduction to the Spencer Davis Group. If you enjoy it a lot, there is a double CD, 8 gigs a week, which contains all the music they recorded while Steve Winwood was a member of the group.

Track Listing
1. Gimme Some Lovin'
2. Searchin'
3. Keep on Running
4. I Can't Stand It
5. Strong Love
6. Every Little Bit Hurts
7. I'm a Man
8. Back into My Life Again
9. Trampoline
10. Somebody Help Me
11. When I Come Home
12. Stevie's Blues
13. This Hammer (The Hammer Song)
14. Waltz for Lumumba
15. Goodbye Stevie

Personnel: Steve Winwood (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Muff Winwood, Spencer Davis (vocals, guitar); Pete York (drums).Liner Note Author: Alan Warner.

Back
Top Bottom