Stop fearing the sub, learn to love it!

Does the Antimode 2.0 allow for stereo? My Antimode 8033 is mono only, but coming from stereo subs and I can't say I'm missing anything now that I've switched to mono.

Or, if my theory is correct or plausible, it should be better in mono.

I feel using it in stereo to correct from 500hz and down with my speakers made the integration easy . as it has a spectrum analyzer built in .

My thought exactly, I have two Martin Logoan subs and I only use one for the 5.1 system in living room, ML Abyss in 2 channel room become a magazine stand most of the time.

Mostly I listen to Jazz, Blues, Rock, Country, Soul, New Age etc., I never thought about seriously integrating a sub because If I use sub in 2 channel I loses airy highs, lushness and instrument separation, may be I have to look into better placement and bass management but I'm happy with 2.0 and more musical enjoyment for me.

Please explain how adding low frequency extension can have any effect on "airy highs"?:scratch2:

^^^
Only way I can see that happening is if the sub is turned up too loud.

As I stated in a previous post ... I'm new to subs ... my 1st one was w/in the last year.

So take what I say with a grain of salt. My impression was a slightly turned up sub as well. I would describe as warmer ... opposite of shrill ... more laid back or recessed (lower resonance, weight or presence) ... hard to describe sound with words.

I voiced my sub in my PC (know that's completely different from a mains rig set up) ... but it's set to my liking .. probably not optimum ... just the way I want it to sound on my PC audio rig.

My 1st impression is I kind of like it slightly turned up ... maybe I don't like airy highs and lushness:dunno:

Last edited:
A subwoofer that's too loud will probably result in a system having too much and/or boomy bass. That's pretty much a given.

I fail to see how that can have any effect on the amount of or quality thereof of the high frequencies.

As I stated in a previous post ... I'm new to subs ... my 1st one was w/in the last year.

So take what I say with a grain of salt. My impression was a slightly turned up sub as well. I would describe as warmer ... opposite of shrill ... more laid back or recessed (lower resonance, weight or presence) ... hard to describe sound with words.

I voiced my sub in my PC (know that's completely different from a mains rig set up) ... but it's set to my liking .. probably not optimum ... just the way I want it to sound on my PC audio rig.

My 1st impression is I kind of like it slightly turned up ... maybe I don't like airy highs and lushness:dunno:

No, I don't think your last statement is the necessarily the case. My point in stating a sub turned up too loud could be taking the "airiness" from the highs was that LF content that is not balanced with the rest of the spectral content could be imposing on its presentation (meaning mid bass right on up through the highs). This becomes even more of an issue if the room is demonstrating modal behavior (and pretty much all or them will unless it's unusually large) as certain bass notes will bloom or be embellished by the room's response, effectively overpowering everything in the music every time the modal frequency is excited. IME room modal behavior is a bit less of an issue when you're sitting right next to the sub...such as with a desktop system.

Last edited:
This coming from a guy who's into vinyl. :scratch2:

I'm not into vinyl. I own a turntable for the few dozen records I own. I own several CD players for several thousand CD's I own. I have no RCM and no ritual. I pull a record from the sleeve, place it on the platter and lower the stylus on to the record...period.

Nice. I wonder how that would compare to this MiniDSP unit? The MiniDSP looks like more of a full range DSP. It needs a mic also that isn't included in the cost.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-di

I know I need something in my living room with all of the open holes in that room.

I'd love to be able to afford the gear needed to set up my room. Unfortunately that's not in the cards at the moment. I need a minidsp for my OBs so that will possibly happen in the coming year.

As I previously stated my family room serves double duty for HT and 2 channel. It is an odd room. 20x30, back wall is windows covered by blinds and drapes, at times. The front left corner opens to a hall and open staircase. No telling what trouble that causes. I can't really do any wall treatments. We collect art and there are 10 paintings, some large, and a few smaller framed pieces. They aren't going anywhere and I don't have any flexibility in their placement.

All of that is to illustrate the problems many of us face when it comes to sound management. Ideally I would have a dedicated listening room in the basement. Unfortunately my basement sucks and will cost a small fortune to fix the issues. :sigh:

cubdog

I'm not into vinyl. I own a turntable for the few dozen records I own. I own several CD players for several thousand CD's I own. I have no RCM and no ritual. I pull a record from the sleeve, place it on the platter and lower the stylus on to the record...period.

Ahh....I saw the RP6 in your gear list and just assumed. Please pardon my being presumptious.

Back
Top Bottom