Advice on ADC ZLM Cartridge

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. For me it has been a great re-learning experience as I had not used a moving magnet (or induced magnet) cartridge in years. It has also been great fun re-discovering both my Empire 2000Z cartridge and how good (and not fussy) the Infinity Black Widow arm really is.

And with that BW arm, you need not fear the 25 or original XLM should they ever poke their heads above the weeds.

After a week or so of listening and adjusting I can say without reservation that the ZLM cartridge is one nice sounding cartridge. It seems to track everything like a champ. Its tonal balance is spot on and its imaging is outstanding. The delicate airy highs are outstanding and I take back what I said about the lack of bass dynamic punch. It is definitely there but with better definition. I have settled on about 1.125gm tracking force and was wondering what other users have used. Thanks again for the help that I have received.

As I type this I'm listening to an ADC ZLM mounted to an SME 309. I have the VTF set at 1.3 grams.

This has always been one of my favorite sounding carts so I have 'protected' my future by buying 3 replacement styli. Should keep me going for a few years ;)

I've discovered the ZLM is on my short list of great sounding cartridges. I am amazed by the level of detail it provides and it's unflappable tracking ability. This is quite a compliment as I have been using various low output moving coil (Monster Alpha 1 and Genesis 1000) cartridges for the last 25 years or so. Now I will also have to find a reasonably priced source for a backup stylus (or two).

I've discovered the ZLM is on my short list of great sounding cartridges. I am amazed by the level of detail it provides and it's unflappable tracking ability. This is quite a compliment as I have been using various low output moving coil (Monster Alpha 1 and Genesis 1000) cartridges for the last 25 years or so. Now I will also have to find a reasonably priced source for a backup stylus (or two).

Yes, on my short list too. And, like you I have also been through a number of carts including MC (Ortofon, Dynavector, Benz) and MM (Shure, Grace, ADC XLM).

A recent upgrade in preamp (no MC stage) forced me from LOMC back to MM which is why I ended up digging into my stash and mounting the ZLM. What a nice surprise! I really feel like I'm done with LOMC carts for a while.

BTW, you can find NOS stylus here: http://www.turntableneedles.com/ADC-RSZ-Stylus-for-ADC-ZLM-Cartridge--our-Needle-108-DEQ_p_845.html

Back
Top Bottom