Big A** Hi-Fi at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2012 Sept 26-28

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
NOTE: DATES IN THREAD TITLE ARE WRONG! It's the 28th through the 30th!!

Hi- as many of you know, I am Ops Administrator for Anime Weekend Atlanta, the largest Japanese animation convention in the southeast US. This is our 18th year of operation, and we are expecting over 12000 guests to join us at the Cobb Galleria Centre, the weekend of Sept. 28-30.

Along with administering most of the "front-line" departments (video rooms, panel and event operations, video games, and such), I have also BUILT much of the A/V equipment we use for the event, myself. I have, over the years, personally built over FIFTY PAIRS of what I like to call "hi-fi PA" speakers for the event. Everything from normal "monkey-coffin" size speakers for our video rooms, to six foot tall monstrosities with double 18" bass drivers, dual 6" mids and horn tweeters, and 18" bandpass subwoofers flat to below 25 Hz, at full power!

Just a few highlights:

-Our Main Video Room (in the Chambers Room of the Waverly Hotel attached to the Cobb Galleria) holds over 400 people and has a 5.1 system with five E-wave speaker systems- 15" and waveguide for the front three channels, 10" and waveguides for the rears, and two custom self-powered subwoofers made with Dayton Quatro 15" sub drivers and BASH amps. This is controlled by a Marantz SR5006 HT receiver, and is running video at 720p through a hi-def XVGA projector. This system has about 2200 watts of total available power, between the subwoofers, the outboard power amp running the main front speakers, and the power within the used channels in the Marantz itself.

-Our Video Art Track room (in the Habersham Ballroom of the Waverly Hotel- where we show an immense number of fan-produced music videos all weekend) has a bi-amplified system, with our "Big Red" main speakers (dual 18" Tonegan woofers, dual Eminence Alpha 6A mids, and an Eminence APT150 supertweeter per enclosure), which tower at over 6 feet tall. For the bottom end, there are four custom-built bandpass subwoofers (our SEELE units- named due to their resemblance to the monoliths of the same name in the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion), each containing an 18" Eminence Sigma Pro-class subwoofer (custom reconed with kevlar cone and heavier voice coils by me). Rear fill is from a custom-built pair of Pioneer dual-15 cabs, with Audax PR170 midranges and Eminence APT150 supertweeters, on a digital delay to "Haas-effect-align" them in time with the front speakers. Total power in this room is about 5600 watts! This is truly the most "hi-fi" system we have at the convention, and it really does sound like a great big set of high-end monitors- only with extension down to below 25 Hz, and the capability of playing at levels from a whisper, to being able to literally re-arrange things on the shelves of adjoining rooms, if desired. :D

- Our Main Events room has a custom tri-amped system- a quasi-line-array, powered by vintage Crest power amplifiers (some of the absolute best power PA power amps of all time, IMHO), running a total of SIX double-18" cabinets for bass (four EAW cabinets loaded with two Eminence Omega 18" each, and two QMS cabinets each loaded with two Cetec Gauss 4883B 18" woofers), four JBL 4648A cabinets (loaded with two JBL 2226H 15" woofers each), a total of four Renkus-Heinz 2"-throat waveguide-horns (two per side), and a pair of supertweeters, loaded with two Selenium ST350 horn supertweeters each. Total power in this system is in excess of TWELVE THOUSAND watts- and this is OLD SCHOOL CONTINUOUS SINE WAVE power, not the "max" or "peak" or "music program" power commonly seen stated on modern "lightweight" pro amps! For comparison, the amp rack for JUST the mids and highs and one of the sub cabinet pairs, weighs in excess of FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS, and requires FOUR dedicated AC power circuits for JUST this one rack. This system will play hi-fi audio in excess of 130dB, without breaking a sweat, and sounds just as good at low volume as it does at full song!

We will also have a fully-equipped "concert hall" room, complete with an exquisite lighting setup (everything from swivel gobos, to LED curtains, to dual rear-projector screens flanking the stage) and another really stout sound system (powered by all JBL/Urei power amps, and using JBL, Cetec Gauss and EV speakers). This room will host our Friday night formal Ball (including string quartet accompaniment), Japanese idol singers, a fashion show, and a "national act" Japanese band, over the weekend.

For those who are into "big time sound", this will be an experience, no joke. We have been working almost continuously since the end of the show last year, on upgrades- so even if you've been to the show before- you ain't seen nothin' yet...

If you want more information on the rest of the event: www.awa-con.com
Please check there, on information on how to attend, if you want to do so!

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
Wow, for several years I brought my son to Anime Boston and also to the Anime convention in Hartford, Connecticon (sp?). While I wasn't an active participant I always enjoyed the scene, especially cos play (sp?). It always cracked me up to see the lobby of the Sheraton littered with comatose kids on the morning of the last day. I never paid to actually go inside but somehow I doubt either convention had the audio setup you do.

Well, it starts tomorrow!

We're already sending gear to the hotel- my comm guy will be over there setting up internet and radio for us, and we'll hit the ground running, in the morning!

We've had a big spike in pre-registration- we're now expecting close to FIFTEEN THOUSAND attendees. It'll definitely be something to see!

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom