Brimfield Antique Show!

Gruvin'

Anyone going to the Brimfield Antique show in Brimfield MA next week?

This would be my first time and I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks:D or suggestions.

Thanks folks:thmbsp:

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. If there's something you're looking for, ask - they may not have brought everything.

When handling small expensive items - watches, porcelain, etc. - it's generally better not to pass them hand to hand. They will set it on the table, you ask if you may pick it up, and when you're done looking at it (for ID marks, whatever) put it back on the table. This minimizes the risk of dropping something. Side note - don't ask to look at everything, just the items you're serious about.

Bring lots of small denomination bills. It helps if they can't make change, and it makes haggling easier (smaller increments).

Go frequently, get to know the vendors. Even if you're not a regular buyer, they will recognize you, and it helps to build that ever important human relationship.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. If there's something you're looking for, ask - they may not have brought everything.

When handling small expensive items - watches, porcelain, etc. - it's generally better not to pass them hand to hand. They will set it on the table, you ask if you may pick it up, and when you're done looking at it (for ID marks, whatever) put it back on the table. This minimizes the risk of dropping something. Side note - don't ask to look at everything, just the items you're serious about.

Bring lots of small denomination bills. It helps if they can't make change, and it makes haggling easier (smaller increments).

Go frequently, get to know the vendors. Even if you're not a regular buyer, they will recognize you, and it helps to build that ever important human relationship.

Thanks walkandtalk, I did make it to the show, 1 day only and it was 'insane'....the amount of stuff that's being offered is mind blowing. In any case, I didn' t see too much audio related stuff but then again I only made it to a couple of fields. Did get some nice vinyl for a good price. All in all it was a great experience and I'm definitely going next year:yes:

Brimfield is one of the many things I miss from Mass.
Haven't been since I moved down here 20 years ago.
My attendance predates my vintage audio interests & I'm curious as to what AK'ers tend to find there, if anything.
One thing's for sure - the first time you see Brimfield, the scale of it is shocking!

I have been going to Brimfield and setting up there on occasion for the last 30 years. Did not make it there this year. In the past I have not seen very many pieces of audio gear.:no: Tons and tons of other stuff though. One of my biggest misses happened there one year when I was set up with the parents. People next to us had a box full of the original Spirit newspaper inserts, couple bucks each. Didn't get any, no cash that day. Parents did not see the value. The guy who bought the whole box for cheap sure saw the value. Never forget the ones that get away.

If you run acrost a wooden cabinet old, OLD TV, & the cabinet stands approx. waist high, is all out of proportion LARGER than the tiny screen, & the screen is "Funny" looking-the top & bottom are flat, but the sides are curved or "Bowed" looking, you MIGHT wanna check it out-It MIGHT be an RCA CT-100 from 1954, the 1st color set.. They CAN go for silly big money if they work (Which it WON'T) but pretty decent sums otherwise..There were 1000 or so made, there are approx 130 or so survivors, & about 2 dozen work...

Brimfield is out of control, a nightmare to navigate, and way overpriced. That being said, going to Brimfield is a freakin' blast! You will see things you have never seen before, be surrounded by like-minded collecting fiends, and blissfully wander through a museum where everything is for sale. Eat a big breakfast, know exactly what the weather will be like (and be dressed accordingly), and wear your most comfortable shoes. Do not be afraid to bargain. Prices get lower as the days go by (these dealers all have more stock at home....and they do not want to drag stuff home). Post some pictures when you get back. If you see a guy with a hat made out of a ukulele...that would be me!

Back
Top Bottom