A question about phono-preamps

Melancholy

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to the record and turntable business, I started collecting records just a year ago after I saw my friend's brother's system. And it was neat.

Recently I've decided that I should get myself a little and not too expensive (I'm a student) system of my own.

So, I have my Sony Genezi MHC EX600 sound system, which served me reliably for a few years, and I got a Sherwood PM 9805 turntable.

And now I should get a phono pre-amp, since the Genezi system doesn't have a phono input (whenever I play a record it plays quietly and there's background hum due to the lack of grounding, I suppose).
I've made research about this topic, and I've come with some conclusions, and I'd like someone else opinion, since I have a lack of knowledge and experience.

I've found a couple of cheap phono-pre-amps - one's Behringer PP400, another one is TCC TC750LC, is there a difference between them? Is there anything better for the same (more or less) amount of money?

And I've repeatedly seen that people recommend getting the big NAD receivers (within the pre-amp threads), what's the deal about them? I understand that they're a way more expensive, and therefore have much more options and features and a better quality of sound. Do I need one of these too? Or the little pre-amp is fine?

Thanks a lot!

For a cheap phono pre, consider the ART DJ II. It is MUCH better than the Behringer for just a little more money.

Getting a NAD system would be great, but it would also require basically starting over. If you decide to do that you will enjoy the results, but running that pre into your Sony would be a waste IMHO.

Thanks for your reply.
The Art DJ II seems to be a nice one, I'll check it up as well this evening.

By saying "a waste", you mean to connect the NAD and the pre-amp together to the speakers? That indeed should be a waste, since the NAD already does the pre-amp's job, unless I'm mistaken.

I plan to stick with this setup for some time, so I won't get an expensive NAD receiver, I'm aiming for something, like a pre-amp, that would both do the job and sound decent.

Edit: Is there a reason that I should consider next time when comparing things why the Art DJ II is much better than Behringer?

Last edited:
And now I should get a phono pre-amp, since the Genezi system doesn't have a phono input (whenever I play a record it plays quietly and there's background hum due to the lack of grounding, I suppose).

There should be a separate ground wire from the turntable that is connected to the frame or the motor. This needs to be connected to the chassis of the preamp or you WILL have hum.

There should be a separate ground wire from the turntable that is connected to the frame or the motor. This needs to be connected to the chassis of the preamp or you WILL have hum.

Yup, there is indeed a grounding wire from the turntable along with the RCA ones. Problem's Genezi doesn't have a place to connect it. Therefore I expect the pre-amp to have this feature as well (I noticed that not all of them do).
You suggest that the preamp would solve both of the issues of quiet sound and the hum?
Do you have maybe a suggestion on a good preamp? As I think, it's always better to compare things, makes me understand how it works better.
Thank you for your help.

I've found a couple of cheap phono-pre-amps - one's Behringer PP400, another one is TCC TC750LC, is there a difference between them? Is there anything better for the same (more or less) amount of money?

I've used the TCC TC750 for several years, works like a charm. At first I wasn't impressed with the sound, but after reading some reviews I let it "burn in" for about 20 hours. After that it began to sound totally different. Easy to hook up and forget about.

By saying "a waste", you mean to connect the NAD and the pre-amp together to the speakers? That indeed should be a waste, since the NAD already does the pre-amp's job, unless I'm mistaken.

Your Sony all in one is acting as a receiver would in a component system. You can't hook speakers to a pre-amp. If you use the pre-amp, you then also need to use a power amp to drive the speakers. Putting your NAD into your Sony would be like using fine crystal stemware to swill Thunderbird.

if putting the external preamp is what you want to start with, then that is a start to separate components, a good thing. PS Audio's first product was a separate phono to plug into your receiver.

once you realize that the sound can be noticeably better with just that change, you're on the road to good sound.

I've used the TCC TC750 for several years, works like a charm. At first I wasn't impressed with the sound, but after reading some reviews I let it "burn in" for about 20 hours. After that it began to sound totally different. Easy to hook up and forget about.

+1 on the TC750. i almost gave up on mine because of the harshness in the high frequencies. on the other hand, the other pre-amps i auditioned that were within my budget sounded stale and bland. then i read about upgrading the stock power supply. now, it's hella awesome with both my RP1 and SL 1200 mk2.

How did you upgrade the power supply?? I have one of those preamps. I also have a HK3490 receiver and I don't know which would give me the best sound, straight into the receiver or use the preamp??

using the outboard phono preamp will most likely give you better sound than what is built into the receiver. PS Audio started their business making outboard phono sections because they sounded better.

How did you upgrade the power supply?? I have one of those preamps. I also have a HK3490 receiver and I don't know which would give me the best sound, straight into the receiver or use the preamp??

There have been some threads on the ArtDJ power supply but I seem to remember a popular option was using 12v batteries. I want to say it was a thread from arcorob that had some sound samples of different supplies with the DJ if you want to see if you can hear it yourself.

I have a TEC TC760LC (basically a TCC TC 750 with added MC capability and variable output). Works fine, no complains.

I have a TEC TC760LC (basically a TCC TC 750 with added MC capability and variable output). Works fine, no complains.

I have one also... regardless where it should be ranked

Leaving in on 24/7 improves the SQ by a good measure - YMMV

Just took the TC 760 out of Mothballs the other week. Some years ago when I bought it ... had the annoying habit of dropping one of the stereo channels until it warmed up. So I just left the unit on all the time and never got around to sending it back.

Anyway ... aside from the output volume increasing ... I did not notice any difference between that & the built in phono pre on my 1993 Yamaha RX-V690.
Unit went in the closet.

Last year I bought a Yamaha A-S500BL Integrated Amp and have been using the internal MM phono pre. It was on my mains rigs and I could have sworn that records did not sound as good ... but I just pressed on and forgot about it. Last week I hooked up the TC 760 ... :music: ... I was missing something ... I'll have to learn to trust my ears.

There must have been a difference in the quality of the internal MM Phono pre on the 1993 Yamaha vs the 2013 one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom