AK Design Collaborative Ideas

Which collaborative project would you like to pursue?

• 15w SE amplifier

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • 20-30w Push Pull Amplifier

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Tube Preamp

Votes: 38 45.8%

• Total voters
I don't know how many of the lopsided dual triode tv vertical tubes are still plentiful and cheap, one of these per channel as per the C-J line stage configuration I previously mentioned per channel with the little triode as the gain stage and the big triode as the cathode follower line driver should be able to imperterbably push almost anything, a fully regulated B+ being a given for LF stability.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I suppose if there was enough interest, we could even contract out custom iron to heyboer.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the scope of the design, i.e., what is the top priority for this exercise? Cost? Fidelity? Ease of construction? etc. When you speak of custom iron, in my mind, that means cost is not much of a concern, or am I mis-reading it?:no:

Last edited:
My thought was if we were going to go down the push pull e-linear path, custom iron with the UL taps exactly where we wanted them to be would be a nice option. If we decide to build something generic with a 6.6k primary, it would open up options for builders but potentially limit the ability to get the most out of a design.

If we go the preamp route, I'd probably be looking at using a power tube. 45/2A3/6AV5/6V6/6336. I heard a Pete millet low mu preamp and it was probably the best preamp I've heard.

I was thinking triode-strapped 6P15P. Its like a slightly de-rated 6bq5, and they're quite cheap.

Hiya,

Well the draw back IMHO of using the Compactrons , Novars or Magnovals is finding decent quality sockets. Yes there are those gold plated things but they are crap IMHO.

Now two things that would be unique in my mind are either a tube cross over using the boards that were offered on BT as a base or something mosfet driven in a PP configuration.

But failing that and dropping my personal desires.

I would vote to just build around the 6L6.

Frannie

PS: Can we also after the build do a "Clean" summary thread and lock it rather than force people to read through 1000 pages of "I think this would work"

Last edited:
My thought was if we were going to go down the push pull e-linear path, custom iron with the UL taps exactly where we wanted them to be would be a nice option. If we decide to build something generic with a 6.6k primary, it would open up options for builders but potentially limit the ability to get the most out of a design.
I see, perhaps the design could have the options of using existing off-the-shelf OPT/PT or custom OPT/PT if the budget isn't an issue. Since both Tubelab and Pete Millett already offer great boards, how can the AK design differentiate itself?

I see, perhaps the design could have the options of using existing off-the-shelf OPT/PT or custom OPT/PT if the budget isn't an issue. Since both Tubelab and Pete Millett already offer great boards, how can the AK design differentiate itself?

Price /performance value, plus the hands-on factor.
The core of any tube power amp project will be the quality for price of the OPTs.

I can see a Laurent driver with a 6AN8 or sim, a similar arrangement with a dual triode like 12AX7, or a paraphase driver with feedback and phase balance tweaked in prototype for the chosen OPTs.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Can I ask why go with a re-hash of an existing design ??

Why not something a bit unique ??

Been there done that already is not exactly what the speaker folks do.

I say push that envelope a bit and come up with something that is truly a AK unique effort.

Frannie

Great thread....watching with interest.

I voted PP Amp.....but have changed my mind to a Tube Preamp....especially if it could have a great Phono section....and dual or triple out puts....so several different amps could be hooked up to it.

Hiya,

Can I ask why go with a re-hash of an existing design ??

Why not something a bit unique ??

Been there done that already is not exactly what the speaker folks do.

I say push that envelope a bit and come up with something that is truly a AK unique effort.

Frannie

Whatever path we choose, I'm with you. Something unique and preferably using p2p rather than boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! This is exciting! Preamp would be awesome! I am subscribing to this one! Oh, and I voted! ;-)

+1 for tube pre. I have a pile of tube power amps but very few tube-based linestage/preamps. Also, a tube preamp collab could be the gateway drug to tube goodness for those of us running solid state power amps.

Whatever path we choose, I'm with you. Something unique and preferably using p2p rather than boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you REALLY wanted unique- I've been jonesing, for a while, to build a stout Circlotron amp. Output iron would be interesting- it would not require UL or anything like that. And it'd be low-impedance, which would make for better coupling between primary and secondary...

Power supply, in theory, could be done with something like one of those Antek dual-secondary PTs. It would, naturally, take one power transformer per channel...

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom