Free pair of...

audiobiker

Learning...
Yammy NS-500 speaks. I got these from the guy I gave the VHF transceivers to. He had them laying around and he decided that they needed to be mine :scratch2: I got them for free though so who cares :D the woofs need to be foamed and one duct cap replaced. They are missing the grills, I think I am gonna repai t them really fast and build new grills then sell them :cool: I don't really need a pair of speakers that are this small...if anyone needs a box tweeter woofer or crossover for these then I might part them out. Just PM me if you would be interested in a part of them or all of them :D I am gonna start work on them later today probably,so message me before then otherwise I probably won't part them. Any ideas about what I should do with them would be cool.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345230598.531576.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345230636.691508.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345230743.995959.jpg

So I think I am gonna sand them down, paint them cherry red, put red cerwin vega surrounds on them, and make black grills that say Yamaha NS-500 on them in red :D what do y'all think?

And more pictures: dang those woofers are built sturdily!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345235035.224303.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345235086.362559.jpg

So I think I am gonna sand them down, paint them cherry red, put red cerwin vega surrounds on them, and make black grills that say Yamaha NS-500 on them in red :D what do y'all think?
There your speakers and I don't have to look at them.

I would match the replacement surrounds as closely as possible to the originals. Otherwise their performance will be altered. The Vega surrounds probably don't have the right roll diameter or foam density for the Yamaha woofers to sound right. You could paint them, but remember that you will be hurting the resale value of a pair of desirable speakers.

Those tweeters use Yamaha's famed beryllium domes, as does the NS-1000. The NS-500s won't shake the room with bass, but you will get an accurate reproduction of the source material. Please take the time to do a proper refoam on the woofers, and listen to the speakers for a while. You might be surprised.

Does anyone know how you get into the crossovers? I want to recap these but it appears as though they are sealed :scratch2:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345256729.594292.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345256864.583932.jpg

I second the motion, that you should restore them & listen to them at least a bit. :yes: If they're anything like the NS-1000, and they certainly should be, you might like them a lot more than you think you might, maybe. :scratch2: :D And if not, I might wanna buy them from you, in black though, LOL. :D BTW, someone told me the caps in the NS-1000s were "self-healing", & didn't need replaced. I don't claim to understand that, but the person seemed intelligent & trustworthy, so I dunno.

Pull the other drivers and ohm them out..Hopefully the tweets are not toast.

I second the motion, that you should restore them & listen to them at least a bit. :yes: If they're anything like the NS-1000, and they certainly should be, you might like them a lot more than you think you might, maybe. :scratch2: :D And if not, I might wanna buy them from you, in black though, LOL. :D BTW, someone told me the caps in the NS-1000s were "self-healing", & didn't need replaced. I don't claim to understand that, but the person seemed intelligent & trustworthy, so I dunno.

Cool, that is good to know about the caps :yes: I am planning on keeping them as of now and I am probably not gonna paint them red. I think it would look quite nice but it wouldn't match anything that I own. I am gonna paint the black and put a couple layers of clear coat over it to give them a nice gloss. I am gonna try to buy the original grills as well. The woofers might need a recone because they have been sitting for a while without grills and without surrounds and the edges are pretty beat.

Pull the other drivers and ohm them out..Hopefully the tweets are not toast.

thanks for reminding me about that :yes: I already pulled all of the drivers so I will check that out. These haven't been used much though, only as a stand for his shortwave radio.

Ok I just plugged them up to the old multimeter and got nothing :( so I plugged them strait into an amp and still got nothing :cry: anyone have anything?

Good luck.Start watching ebay.They will most likely be very pricey.Yamaha berylliums have a price tag of gold.Now you know why they were free.

actually i think it happened when i unsoldered them from the leads :( i am gonna take them apart and check them out. is there any way to replace the diaphragm?

Since the tweeters are shot I am probably gonna do some sort of econowave with them. I will redone the original woofers and put new tweeters in them, and I will make sure that they sound good together.

I am gonna replace the tweeters in these and refoamed the woofers. Then round off the corners paint them white and build black grills for these. I will post pics as I progress. They are gonna be some pretty sweet Ewaves :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and your mom...she makes good samitches

Back
Top Bottom