C-60 preamp - transformer heat question

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
I just bought a C-60 preamp in great condition, looks mint inside and out. My question concerns the heat that the power transformer creates. Do these generally run pretty warm?

Mine has been off for about 30 mins and the PT is 107 degrees. I'll have to leave it on for a while and see how hot it gets.

Close the windows and fire up the AC, for petes sake!...Its hot out there in Vegas this time of year.

I just bought a C-60 preamp in great condition, looks mint inside and out. My question concerns the heat that the power transformer creates. Do these generally run pretty warm?

Mine has been off for about 30 mins and the PT is 107 degrees. I'll have to leave it on for a while and see how hot it gets.

Did you have it sitting on top of that M-60 in Auto-Class A? LOL.

No, but now that I think about it, when I bought it the guy had it set up right next to his car's front end in the garage...if he had been driving the car prior to that, I can see it raising the temp. There was a cd player stacked on top of the C-60 and the PT of the C-60 was very close to his car.

It's been powered on, in my house for a few hours now and it's only 98 degrees with the laser temp gauge. Sounds damn good too! :music:

I had C-70 for years that ran hot as an oven, worked flawlessly for over ten years. It always worried me but I never had a problem out of it. Right now I have a C-80, sitting right on top of an M-80, and do not seem to have the same problem.

I've owned a c-65 for quite a while - love it, BTW.

It does tend to run fairly warm - there doesn't seem to be much ventilation in these models - but not all that warm.

When I got it I noticed the big PS caps were bulging. Not surprising, given their age. If yours are leaky, that could cause the PT to run hot....

Back
Top Bottom