The Yamaha M-60, a former Nak employee's impressions:

audiomagnate

Addicted Member
Super cheap. The heat sinks look like something out of Wallmart. The power button has a cheap flopply loose feel. The speaker connectors are quite possibly the worst ever, even for the nineties.

But if you push that class A button, magic happens, so all is forgiven. This is the real deal, a true class A amp up to around 50 watts. Who could ask for anything more?

This is the real deal, a true class A amp up to around 50 watts.
More like first 15 watt is Class A ..Then slides to class AB after that. These need alot of breathing space whilst operating in Class A.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my M60 was stolen and I quickly replaced it with an M45 that came in, never did get around to replacing it, though preferred these to a lot of other amps and the UK made amps we had in stock, even without the Class A switched in.

Am I right in remembering that they were the only Japanese company that offered Class A in this price range?

M-45 ---first 10 watt is Class A when the Auto Class A button is depressed.

I really liked the Nak sound back in the 80's, but purchased Yamaha separates because the natural sound got me....the price was right, still have the Yammies, always will.

The M-60 gets so hot on class A mode. It has to be the real deal. Sounds pretty sweet to me in Class A. The poor man's Krell.

Last edited:
The M-60 gets so hot on class A mode. It has to be the real deal. Sounds pretty sweet to me in Class A. The poor man's Krell.

I use my MX-800 to heat the bedroom in January, and that is saying something in Chicago.

Yes, looking at the custom milled exteriors of amps that cost 5x what the Yammys cost, does have hemline appeal.

However, as you say, once the mouth opens and the singing begins, it's hard to find a sweeter sounding series of amps. :music:

When I was young, the old timers would tell me that there is more than looks; now that I am one, I have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom